Re: CHAS accredited

Chipperclown

Using a consultant to do it for you turns the process into a cheque writing exercise rather than a actual opportunity to write about how you do things and operate and come up with some good policies.

We wrote are own used others for inspiration and got the arb association to find the holes and help us patch them and sign it off

I agree - better to do it yourself. This is advocated in all health and safety advice given by the HSE.

But please guys don't denigrate a profession - you might be ok to do this but others might need help, and ask for it.

You can use the OSHCR website to find someone near you who covers your profession. This was set up to give confidence of the competence of the person you engage with and is a free service promoted by HSE IOSH and a number of other organisational stakeholders.

I also agree that this exercise can be cathartic and educational. Being on the tools can sometimes cause the shortcuts to become practice. I believe that the effort put in (irrespective of who leads the exercise) will benefit you and your operational safety.

You may find that using someone to get your thoughts in the right place actually saves you time and looks better for you to be able to use as promotional material in tendering processes. Oh –and it might just help to avoid some of the poignant messages on this website.

If I am fortunate and meet your needs you will find me on the register.

For the doubters -15 years as an engineer 20 years as a health and safety professional and 5 years as a business risk and business continuity consultant I like to think I add value to my clients, I own my own plant and equipment and have managed the contracts for TS and contractors. Surely anyone can climb and chop trees……

I agree - better to do it yourself. This is advocated in all health and safety advice given by the HSE.

But please guys don't denigrate a profession - you might be ok to do this but others might need help, and ask for it.

You can use the OSHCR website to find someone near you who covers your profession. This was set up to give confidence of the competence of the person you engage with and is a free service promoted by HSE IOSH and a number of other organisational stakeholders.

I also agree that this exercise can be cathartic and educational. Being on the tools can sometimes cause the shortcuts to become practice. I believe that the effort put in (irrespective of who leads the exercise) will benefit you and your operational safety.

You may find that using someone to get your thoughts in the right place actually saves you time and looks better for you to be able to use as promotional material in tendering processes. Oh –and it might just help to avoid some of the poignant messages on this website.

If I am fortunate and meet your needs you will find me on the register.

For the doubters -15 years as an engineer 20 years as a health and safety professional and 5 years as a business risk and business continuity consultant I like to think I add value to my clients, I own my own plant and equipment and have managed the contracts for TS and contractors. Surely anyone can climb and chop trees……

Well said Steve. Especially the very last bit.