PWR Bioheat. How are these IDIOTS so cheap?

TimberCutterDartmoor

you shouldn't be able to make a living off the payments though, I just went back over that guys website and his £70 a cube including delivery is cheaper than I can ship a pallet to London cheapest quote I think I got was £80+vat fair enough start sending a few the price comes down a bit but essentially this guy is giving his wood away for free.

Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind the delivery either. They must have a huge amount of boilers there to cover it with RHI though because you can't just run 1 boiler non stop. It's limited to, I believe, 1300 hours at maximum capacity and the higher rate was only paid on boilers up to 200kW. That's 'only' around £20k a boiler in RHI per year and that's before the cost of chip and paying a 50k+ boiler off.

It's possible they've got a very efficient drying system by doing it with false floors instead of a traditional kilns and on that scale they should easily be able to produce at £60 a cube but as you say pallet delivery just doesn't add up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind the delivery either. They must have a huge amount of boilers there to cover it with RHI though because you can't just run 1 boiler non stop. It's limited to, I believe, 1300 hours at maximum capacity and the higher rate was only paid on boilers up to 200kW. That's 'only' around £20k a boiler in RHI per year and that's before the cost of chip and paying a 50k+ boiler off.

It's possible they've got a very efficient drying system by doing it with false floors instead of a traditional kilns and on that scale they should easily be able to produce at £60 a cube but as you say pallet delivery just doesn't add up.

Not true. There are broiler producers around here with 1MW boilers heating their chicken houses raking in 100k in RHI payments. The boilers are very expensive and they have to buy equal capacity oil/gas boilers as a backup system in most cases. Our nearby farm on this is using 1000+ ton of softwood a year!

Also no way is a false floor drying system

More efficient for drying logs than a proper kiln. You'll never get the temperature required to kill off the bugs etc that is part of the aim of kilning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SbTVF

Not true. There are broiler producers around here with 1MW boilers heating their chicken houses raking in 100k in RHI payments. The boilers are very expensive and they have to buy equal capacity oil/gas boilers as a backup system in most cases. Our nearby farm on this is using 1000+ ton of softwood a year!

Also no way is a false floor drying system

More efficient for drying logs than a proper kiln. You'll never get the temperature required to kill off the bugs etc that is part of the aim of kilning.

I'm not sure if it's changed recently but rhi was paid at a higher rate on boilers under 200kW so while a larger boiler would get more money overall it would cost a higher percentage to run which is why some businesses run multiple smaller boilers in sequence.

In terms of efficiency I was referring to getting it under 20% moisture not peak temperature.

you shouldn't be able to make a living off the payments though, I just went back over that guys website and his £70 a cube including delivery is cheaper than I can ship a pallet to London cheapest quote I think I got was £80+vat fair enough start sending a few the price comes down a bit but essentially this guy is giving his wood away for free.

I think the website is fairly clear regards costs and delivery. Its not £70 delivered to your door unless you live very close to the yard.

Try and buy a bag then enter your postcode and get the total price.

I think the website is fairly clear regards costs and delivery. Its not £70 delivered to your door unless you live very close to the yard.

Try and buy a bag then enter your postcode and get the total price.

Ah, there's always a catch. Basically £60 delivery so ends up expensive unless you're local.

I'm not sure if it's changed recently but rhi was paid at a higher rate on boilers under 200kW so while a larger boiler would get more money overall it would cost a higher percentage to run which is why some businesses run multiple smaller boilers in sequence.

In terms of efficiency I was referring to getting it under 20% moisture not peak temperature.

Ok fair enough, I get you. You're only talking 2-4pence per kWh difference off the big systems. We're on 8p with our 150kw boiler. Even on lower payments, economies of scale kicks in for sure when you're talking 500kw plus.

Temperature is important for getting it under 20% moisture. Ash and oak in particular are a pain to dry to the core without a lot of heat in my experience. Though too much and they can case harden!

Ok fair enough, I get you. You're only talking 2-4pence per kWh difference off the big systems. We're on 8p with our 150kw boiler. Even on lower payments, economies of scale kicks in for sure when you're talking 500kw plus.

Temperature is important for getting it under 20% moisture. Ash and oak in particular are a pain to dry to the core without a lot of heat in my experience. Though too much and they can case harden!

Yes, we dry ours and it's hard to get the inside dry. It's very satisfying when the oak all cracks open though.

We went the opposite way to most people and we dry slowly at a lower heat. It takes 3 weeks at about 30 c but we do 160 cube at a time.

Yes, we dry ours and it's hard to get the inside dry. It's very satisfying when the oak all cracks open though.

We went the opposite way to most people and we dry slowly at a lower heat. It takes 3 weeks at about 30 c but we do 160 cube at a time.

Do you not get mould?

And yes the website says drying floor. Is that like a colossal concrete slab just eating up heat?! Flippin L.

A drying floor is usually vented panels with a pressure fan underneath which forces hot air through the wood. Since heat rises it takes the moisture out with the air.

In theory. :)