Badger cull ..

devon TWiG

Tried my hardest mindful of your request not to get political views.....

But.... (and in part prompted by the question 'interesting to see if it reduces tb')

Here it comes anyway!

The badger cull, in my opinion, is a reckless, irresponsible and fanciful squandering of public money on a piecemeal approach, designed and intended more as an appeasement to the pernicious lobbying of the NFU which has, and will continue to have no significant positive effect upon bringing the disease under control.

Where the figures for cattle loss to bTB are applied as a justification for the badger cull, whilst simultaneously glossing over, for example, the self imposed cattle losses to mastitis in intensively farmed dairy herds, the morality of the justification is immediately exposed as the progression of self interest rather than a balanced and comprehensive policy to resolve the issue.

The agricultural sector needs to look inwards at bio-security, husbandry, intensive farming and transportation to name but a few issues which may have an equal or greater contributory effect upon the prevalence of bTB than that supposedly caused by wildlife.

And perhaps some painful realities are starting to emerge.....

Official cover-up - are hunting hounds the 'cryptic carrier' for bovine TB? - The Ecologist

Interesting, cheers for the link. I wonder what uncomfortable truths may emerge....

My guess would be something like....

Those that have the most at stake, the most to lose, have shouted loudest, been compensated, claim to be custodians / protectors / guardians of the rural idyl, may turn out to have been the architects of their own misfortune.

Now there'd be a thing.....

Not as if it'd be a first after all....

And perhaps some painful realities are starting to emerge.....

Official cover-up - are hunting hounds the 'cryptic carrier' for bovine TB? - The Ecologist

IMHO any report/investigation or article that includes input from LACS is discredited by association! Bunch of Cnuts!

With reference to the OP question, surely if the government decide that a cull will take place, the landowner will have no power to stop persons who are entering property to carry out that policy?

Anyway its Wed morning and I'm off hunting! :thumbup:

With reference to the OP question, surely if the government decide that a cull will take place, the landowner will have no power to stop persons who are entering property to carry out that policy?

Living in one of latestest cull zones has been fairly interesting. Farmers had to give permission for badger culling on their land and some farmers didn't give it which has caused friction between land owners.

It took me a while to work out what was going on as you never tend to see police around these parts but during the cull there were loads milling about, sometimes blocking roads without explanation. Then there were antis milling about, opening gates, cutting fences allowing cows to escape some of which had to then be put down.

As for the hounds spreading TB, perhaps they do, but again not all farmers allow hounds on their land and I know some who don't allow hounds but do have TB in their cattle.

The simple answer seems to be many things spread TB: badgers, hounds, cats, people, farm vehicles, public vehicles, cats, deer etc.

Edited by Paul in the woods
spelling

IMHO any report/investigation or article that includes input from LACS is discredited by association! Bunch of Cnuts!

Anyway its Wed morning and I'm off hunting! :thumbup:

I know what you mean by discredited by association - I have similar feeling about the NFU.

Cant cull without landowners consent. It's not a police state after all 👀

I was speaking to a dairy farmer the other day, he regulary has to chase badgers out of his sheds, area is polluted with them (fortunately no bTB)

Right next to a big nature resrve and they wonder why they have no ground nesting birds???

He was saying a few farms in gloustershire which are now btb free since the cull and hedgehog numbers have increased dramatically. So it does look like the cull is working

The money the cull is costing is ridiculasly high, but it also costs the country millions in paying for these btb cows to be culled.

Protection should be taken of badgers country wide so if a farmer wants to cull them he can, be easily more badgers than foxes now and in some local areas could be 4 or 5 times as many broc as foxes

Wot incentive is there for a farmer to improve his herd when he knows it could be wiped out at any time

• 2 weeks later...