Walkie talkies

Dilz

short is - im getting fed up of having to ball at either groundies and climbers. I was on a gig where we used hand held radios and it was much more professional than shouting down from 25m. Had a quick look at some of the professional arb sets and they arent cheap - was wondering if anyone has any budget friendly options?

I bought these in 2014. I dont have a great deal of experience with lots of different sets, but these have been fine for me and not had any faults etc.

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/10km-Binatone-Action-Range-Radio/dp/B00447L1S0[/ame]

I decided to test their range, and they even managed to transmit from inside a house with 2'6" thick stone walls to someone 3/4 mile away, on the other side of a 400 metre tall hill with no line of sight whatsoever.

I thought that was quite impressive really...

we just buy 4 packs of unidens, tie a biner on the back of them and they clip to our work shirts or in the breast pocket.

Not flash but they are cheap and allows a half dozen guys to be aware of each other on those trickier jobs. its surprising how much time it saves every day being able to communicate without having to be face to face.

My radio of choice is the Entel HT series transceiver, which is available in a range of versions for Private Licenced radio frequencies as well as a version for PMR446 licence-free. They are expensive at around £200 per transceiver, but are very robust. They are also fully submersible, so not only does rain or the occasional dunking not matter, but you can wash them if they have got covered in crud.

There are thousands of reasonable cheap PMR446 transceivers available now, varying from kiddy play quality to top-of-the-range units like the Entel HT446.