Understanding forks a bit more

Island Lescure

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you all read the Notes provided?

Having had access to the full PHD I can assure you that the process and scope of knowledge gathering that Dr Slater has taken on, over 7 years has been vigorous and checked by peer review.

It’s great to see that there is still scope to learn more about trees, even beyond the pioneers like Mattheck and Shigo, surely anything that expands our knowledge is a massive bonus?

I attended the Myerscough day and there were many opportunities to raise any issues or seek clarification, I can't remember many problem being raised...

Have you all read the Notes provided?

Having had access to the full PHD I can assure you that the process and scope of knowledge gathering that Dr Slater has taken on, over 7 years has been vigorous and checked by peer review.

It’s great to see that there is still scope to learn more about trees, even beyond the pioneers like Mattheck and Shigo, surely anything that expands our knowledge is a massive bonus?

I attended the Myerscough day and there were many opportunities to raise any issues or seek clarification, I can't remember many problem being raised...

I was at myerscough too and admit I should have asked for more information on the branch attachment. But the workshop was about assessing forks.

Don't take my posts as a criticism, they're not intended as such. I've read a lot of Duncan's work over the last few years and think he's bought an awful lot to the table using the scanning equipment he's had access to.

So what's Slater's views on synthetic dynamic cabling of trees vs traditional static steel cabling?

Snake oil, or beneficial?

A question I'd love to have asked Shigo n Harris, but was too green to at the time.

Jomoco

No idea. He briefly mentioned bracing at the end but I was busy handing out certificates, as I was there as a facilitator, so I didn't hear what he said.

The experts must agree that synthetic dynamic tree cabling's a fine n dandy idea?

But I'd pay to hear them explain to me how it's not snake oil concentrate!

I predict bankruptcy for somebody meself.

I'd appreciate any coherent defenses for dynamic synthetic cabling literature authored by anyone with a horticultural degree links.

Kinda hard to justify how artificial support strengthens a tree with no visible faults, rather than weaken it over time?

All the PhD'd horts I read clearly state sapling support staking be removed after a year or so to ensure proper reaction wood forms on the main trunk.

Why would it be any different on a healthy branch, that just looks heavy to your eye?

I love it when folks in high ivory towers make bloody fools of themselves!

I don't think Shigo or Harris would've been fool enough to endorse synthetic dynamic cabling as beneficial meself.

What say you my colleagues of wood reaction studies?

Jomoco

Are you saying that some people advocate installing a dynamic brace in trees with no visible faults? I've not come across that.

I recommend dynamic braces in trees that exhibit weak unions - the intention being that the brace would prevent damage or injury by arresting a major failure but otherwise allowing the fork some natural flexure which may promote reaction wood enough to strengthen the weak area.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

So you're essentially saying artificial support does not weaken a branch over time?

Why do all the PhD's profess otherwise? That it's fruit n water wind n ice burdens that build reaction wood.

Burdening Is the opposite of supporting.

And if the fault is real? How does supporting it with a material weaker and less longer lived than live wood itself, not constitute a ticking time Bomb?

If the tree/branch becomes dependent on a system that weak n short Lived?

Jomoco

Edited by jomoco

That very stout wind gust force you are so heroically rescuing that branch from?

May in reality be the force strong enough to tear or deform the phloem/bark layer, without damage to the cambium inwards. It may even be the very signal requisite to pile on with some compression growth ASAP!

First, do no harm.

Jomoco

That very stout wind gust force you are so heroically rescuing that branch from?

May in reality be the force strong enough to tear or deform the phloem/bark layer, without damage to the cambium inwards. It may even be the very signal requisite to pile on with some compression growth ASAP!

First, do no harm.

Jomoco

Ahaha very good.

You picked something up!