Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

No. But your taking exception to non UK members, and their insights on this biz?

Comes across rather pompous, some might even say snobbish?

Are there unique attributes to conifer species in the UK I'm unaware of?

My very first post, in the first paragraph, specifically stated there are two aspects of fitness to be perused in this thread, physical and mental.

Integral to that mental aspect is preparedness to deal with medical emergencies in an effective and timely manner.

Now your opinion that a standard first aid kit and a cell phone will suffice in the UK?

Astounds me. Do folks bleed out slower there or somethin mate?

Or is it just a case of UK'ers havin a lot more common sense and smarts than dumb uppity yanks talkin Shyte bout things ee knows nothin about?

Have you yourself ever climbed trees daily as a profession, for any length of time?

Jomoco

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now your opinion that a standard first aid kit and a cell phone will suffice in the UK?

Who said that???? I know it wasn't me, making stuff up just makes you look foolish.

Have you yourself ever climbed trees daily as a profession, for any length of time?

I have worked as a full time climber for over 3 decades. At one time or another I have worked for myself, as a freelancer, for private companies, municipalities, and utilities. I have plied my trade in several countries, I have in the past served as an ISA board member and been involved in the TCC circuit. I have also served on other industry bodies. I have a better than passing knowledge of first aid which began more years ago than I care to remember as a mountain rescue volunteer. I am also qualified to teach first aid in the UK

Who said that???? I know it wasn't me, making stuff up just makes you look foolish.

I have worked as a full time climber for over 3 decades. At one time or another I have worked for myself, as a freelancer, for private companies, municipalities, and utilities. I have plied my trade in several countries, I have in the past served as an ISA board member and been involved in the TCC circuit. I have also served on other industry bodies. I have a better than passing knowledge of first aid which began more years ago than I care to remember as a mountain rescue volunteer. I am also qualified to teach first aid in the UK

So as a first aid trainer, do you agree that pneumatic splints, tourniquets, Saran Wrap and fold up stretchers are wise additions to tree industry first aid kits?

Jomoco

How deep would a honey locust tree thorn have to penetrate a climber's chest to breech the peritoneum sac and lung Tree Quip?

One, two, three inches?

The gleditsia triacanthos has thorns over ten centimeters long mate! Used by natives in olden times as bloody nails.

I understand you lot av a huge one lurking about in Kent?

Jomoco

So as a first aid trainer, do you agree that pneumatic splints, tourniquets, Saran Wrap and fold up stretchers are wise additions to tree industry first aid kits?

Jomoco

There you go again writing statements for others to validate, asking but not listening seems to be your modus operandi.

Google saver, for those in the UK Saran Wrap is cling film

Jomoco

I just realised that I didn't actually answer your question, which is quite rude isn't it?

So do I agree? .......Primum non nocere

For those non latin speakers "primum non nocere"

means first do no harm.

I had to look it up...lol

Sorry about that, the phrase was covered earlier in the thread, its the over riding principal of medical ethics and the first thing a med student learns after he has scoped out the location of the nearest bar:laugh1:

It can be a bit like that over here.

There was a case recently where a guy was floating face down in a lake. The chief fire officer first on the scene wouldn't let anyone wade in and try and rescue/resuscitate him. The risk assessment deemed it too dangerous. Eventually a copper insisted on going in, the casualty was pronounced dead at the scene.

I think the copper faced disciplinary action.

The box tick, litigation mentality, nanny state strikes again.