Knife

richardwale

Peeling palm wraps on the beach dulls a knife faster than other work I know of. The key to success at it of course is frequent sharpening with a file clipped to your saddle, and steel blades that take an edge easily, like a short bladed carpet knife with the hooked edge for ripping.

Peeling palms is probably the most exhausting activity I can think of in this biz. Whoever figures out how to mechanize the process is going to get rich pretty quick IMO.

Jomoco

this knife sharpening is a bit addictive í*½í¸¬

Mmm nice.

What's your sharpening process mate?

Mines 1200 for bevel setting, 6000 for polishing, 12,000 for polishing and 30,000 crox strop with pure leather to finish!

Ian

Mmm nice.

What's your sharpening process mate?

Mines 1200 for bevel setting, 6000 for polishing, 12,000 for polishing and 30,000 crox strop with pure leather to finish!

Ian

Hi Ian

I've had that opinel for 30 years, found it in a drawer blunt as **** . I used a 220 grit, 800 grit and then a 10 000. Finished on a strop. Took about 30 minutes.

Hi Ian

I've had that opinel for 30 years, found it in a drawer blunt as **** . I used a 220 grit, 800 grit and then a 10 000. Finished on a strop. Took about 30 minutes.

Do you not find the 220 grit a bit harsh??

My 1200 can remove a lot of material..... yet it could be differences in the stones though.

Therapeutic isn't it??

Do you not find the 220 grit a bit harsh??

My 1200 can remove a lot of material..... yet it could be differences in the stones though.

Therapeutic isn't it??

I love it. I sit outside, glass of beer, kids are chilling, daddio is sharpening a few knives, happy days!!

Do you have a guide or are just practised enough to keep the angle consistent?

I've got one of the little lanky systems but I guess you're using proper stones.

I just use naniwa stones. Not that expensive. Finish with a strop. Takes a bit of practice but easy enough if patient.