Modified Amphibious DUKW vehicle - auction lot

kevinjohnsonmbe

The one I knew had an engine driven bilge pump that was allegedly capable of keeping it afloat unless it had a big hole in it

Did you see the state of the one Carlin had? looks about as stable as a 3 legged cow in a sand pit. I'm surprised it floated at all given the size and composition of his ba!!$

Definitely something lost the past couple of generations and not for the better IMO.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one Mr Quip, its quite rare because it still has all the jetdrives and swim gear on it.The army took most of them off prior to selling them in an attempt to stop hooligans like me getting hold of them. I cant live with the fuel consumption so when time allows I have a big cummins diesel to go in there to replace the Rolls Royce straight eight petrol. There was a company doing this conversion for the army so I need to track one down and copy it, no point in reinventing the wheel.:thumbup:

Bob

Yes Kevin when it comes in it will be painted blue :)

The B90 revs to over 4000 what will the Cummings do? The owner of the other mog that used to run around Guildford borrowed a stollie and put a k60 in. That has a 1.3 step up between the cranks and being 2 stroke screams like a detroit. I watched him set off to circumnavigate the Isle of Wight but gather he never made it.

I have one Mr Quip, its quite rare because it still has all the jetdrives and swim gear on it.The army took most of them off prior to selling them in an attempt to stop hooligans like me getting hold of them. I cant live with the fuel consumption so when time allows I have a big cummins diesel to go in there to replace the Rolls Royce straight eight petrol. There was a company doing this conversion for the army so I need to track one down and copy it, no point in reinventing the wheel.:thumbup:

Bob

Yes Kevin when it comes in it will be painted blue :)

First dibs on the straight8 please :thumbup1:

The B90 revs to over 4000 what will the Cummings do? The owner of the other mog that used to run around Guildford borrowed a stollie and put a k60 in. That has a 1.3 step up between the cranks and being 2 stroke screams like a detroit. I watched him set off to circumnavigate the Isle of Wight but gather he never made it.

What language is this please..... I've never been a techie! :laugh1:

What language is this please..... I've never been a techie! :laugh1:

Sorry I was being brief as posting from phone: the problem with replacing a petrol engine with a diesel is that the diesel peak revs tend to be much lower. So putting the Cummings in in place of the rolls royce means the top speed is down but also the stress on the rest of the power train goes up for the same power leven.

My old boss still has a stalwart with the steerable water jets. By the time they came into service they were made obsolete by big helicopters. They are also poor swimmers compared with the Dukw which I did take a trip in round Boston harbour. If you leave the bow board out of the stalwart you get swamped and the one I watched going to sea nearly capsized when it drifted sideways off the slip during transition from wading to floating