While we're on the whole landy theme...

Chris Sheppard

Excellent choice Mr Sheppard. The 4.2 someone mentioned could have been the unit from a Toyota landcruiser; in either naturally aspirated or turbocharged form it was a solid unit for sure. Performance from the latter was considerably better (165 bhp if I remember rightly) than the atmo - I had one (atmo) in a 1987 lwb GX landcruiser - fab if not towing. The cummins in your vid sounds turbocharged??? Also the fuel pump in your video is a Bosch unit - emminently suitable for veg oil :thumbup1:

Perkins produced various straight-six lumps suitable for your unit altho these got quite big on displacement; the phaser 4.2 was a 4 cylinder - loud as.

VM was another - italian with shady reputation again. Ford York 3.6 (ish) yet another - but reputation???

Which is more important here? Sound or refinement? I'm a big fan of straight sixes sound too!

[ame]

[/ame]

I can put you in touch with a former colleague at CDUK (Cummins Diesel UK) if you want a cummins lump...

Nissans unit as described before - nice...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had an old rangie on grandparents farm with a 6cylinder perkins combine lump out of an old MF so probably something like the 6.354 engine in it, would only do about 45mph but it would do that up a near vertical hill without slowing down! awesome engine for power, not good for on the road though

Most of these engines are going to be too heavy. I have a 2.8 td izuzu I am about to weigh in for scrap got a good recon engine and turbo if you are interested.

i have heard of those in a landy - let me see if I can find out what's involved in fitting but I might be interested - especially as our main depot is in Hants so I might be able to leave it there while I chop it up.

Have seen a few with the perkins combine engines in - awseome but too slow revving.

Do like the idea of a proper truck engine too but weight and making it fit might cause headaches too - but wouldn't it sound nice :thumbup1:

the 4.2 LC engines are brilliant but I've never seen one fitted to a Landy and I know the engines are expensive and it's not often you see one as the cruisers just keep on going (unless it gets smashed)

Like I said - brand new Cummins 6 cyl as per your vid for £less - not what you know but who you know!...

Why go brand new? A brand new cummins is still going to be £5k+, even with full discount.

A really good one from a breakers would be about £750

Why go brand new? A brand new cummins is still going to be £5k+, even with full discount.

A really good one from a breakers would be about £750

Full discount from who tho?! The best things in life are free!!

Although here's one for £400

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEYLAND-DAF-CUMMINS-CS-Engine_W0QQitemZ170390904474QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM?hash=item27ac16de9a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

if I can't get the sway from the factory that I used to. Basically these and CAT units were all over the generation sites I used to frequent, as backups to the site suction blowers (mines gas) or to compensate for parasitic load. After a few years of just sitting there they would either be given away or sent back to the factory or Finnings and again, given away...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor