Is there a lack of groundman?

swinny

Good thread. Decent groundies can be tricky to pin down. Decent climbers that are willing to ground can be ok but not as good as they should be as they always seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulders about being brash draggers and can be time wasters when compared to a pukka groundie.

I tend to only use well experienced lads as opposed to 'newbies' as it irritates me having to keep my eye on them to ensure safety and make sure they are keeping busy without being prompted or having 1 of the experienced lads 'babysit' them.

I pay £100 per day minimum for a standard 8 hour day, and i pay overtime and 'force them' to go ferra beer afterwards! A good day means £120 minimum (again fer 8 hours). I'm generally quite generous and really do appreciate the lads that work fer me. My main groundie is mid 50's and is the best i've worked with as he has a climbing and forestry background, winching, rigging, pullies, rope systems, safety etc.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread. Decent groundies can be tricky to pin down. Decent climbers that are willing to ground can be ok but not as good as they should be as they always seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulders about being brash draggers and can be time wasters when compared to a pukka groundie.

I tend to only use well experienced lads as opposed to 'newbies' as it irritates me having to keep my eye on them to ensure safety and make sure they are keeping busy without being prompted or having 1 of the experienced lads 'babysit' them.

I pay £100 per day minimum for a standard 8 hour day, and i pay overtime and 'force them' to go ferra beer afterwards! A good day means £120 minimum (again fer 8 hours). I'm generally quite generous and really do appreciate the lads that work fer me. My main groundie is mid 50's and is the best i've worked with as he has a climbing and forestry background, winching, rigging, pullies, rope systems, safety etc.

If everyone had your outlook and priced their work accordingly the industry would be a far better place :thumbup1:

There will always be a lack of workers if you are expecting subbies to work for £70-£110. That is the sort of money lads who are on the books with a company van, ppe and all tools supplied are earning.

depending on experience that is the going rate i'm afraid.

depending on experience that is the going rate i'm afraid.

I'm not disputing the fact, but why would anybody do it when you could drive someone else's van for more?

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=33872154&JobTitle=Van+Drivers+-+Full+Time&pp=25&where=Sudbury%2c+Suffolk%2c+England&sort=rv.dt.di&rad=5&rad_units=miles&re=134&pg=1&tjt=Van+driver&AVSDM=2016-08-08T07%3a38%3a00-05%3a00

There will always be a lack of workers if you are expecting subbies to work for £70-£110. That is the sort of money lads who are on the books with a company van, ppe and all tools supplied are earning.

Im sorry Eggs but your miles out buddie...

This is for someone just to turn up and work just themselves and provide nothing.

Must be your area that ok for that money but the prices i gave are the prices for this area.

Not everone wants to be a delivery driver. Why is everything a comparison. We are talking about this industry nothing else.

Why settle for doing something you dont want to do because its easier money when you desired to do something else.

Bit of a crappy attitude and outlook is say

Not everone wants to be a delivery driver. Why is everything a comparison. We are talking about this industry nothing else.

Why settle for doing something you dont want to do because its easier money when you desired to do something else.

Bit of a crappy attitude and outlook is say

I googled local jobs, the delivery driver was one of the first on the list that paid a great deal more than what seems to been offered, that's all.

Your argument does not stack up. All we hear on here is how the colleges are churning out young lads. They obviously haven't got a desire to work for peanuts, or there wouldn't be a lack of labour.

That's maybe why the lads you know can't find workers, unless you can tell me differently.

Everyone has got bills to pay, and I can't see how £70/day pays all the bills, can you?

I was talking to my brother last week who employs hundreds of lads many of them in the lower wage bracket £8-10/hour, he was telling me that lots of them are scratching out the last few quid at the end of each month... Not the way I would want to live, would you?