Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

22 minutes ago, sime42 said:

They spay it on the harvested cereals to hasten the drying process. That's the case with oats anyway.

That's right it is used as a desiccant, it kills the standing crop and that dries the grain plus it kills any green weeds, making no till direct drilling possible.

In my youth sulphuric acid was used to kill the haulm on a potato crop then paraquat came along until it was banned and I suppose glyphosate became cheap enough to use.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

Becca used to have formidable life plans. She was a corporate lawyer, happy to work long days across...

Food,Medicines, our Environment possibly all of the above and more who knows !, but it’s most definitely effecting people more and more sadly. 

I agree, this is sadly becoming a real issue. I couldn't read that article though, so what was the gist of it? If it was possible causes then, Food - obviously, our Environment - obviously, Medicines - doubtful, a far far smaller factor than the other two certainly.

As broacher of this issue, what do you think we should do about it?

9 hours ago, sime42 said:

I agree, this is sadly becoming a real issue. I couldn't read that article though, so what was the gist of it? If it was possible causes then, Food - obviously, our Environment - obviously, Medicines - doubtful, a far far smaller factor than the other two certainly.

As broacher of this issue, what do you think we should do about it?

Some links will post some won’t whether it’s an  iPhone issue or a paywall issue etc I’m not sure. I don’t have the answers other than a greater return to more natural produce but that is ever harder with the increased population and immigration etc etc. I’m not as confident as you are that modern medicine is not involved especially seeing as the increase is marked up as 25% in the young. A drive to educate people on the benefits of physical ( pack in this ridiculous fat is ok body positivity stuff) and therefore mental fitness would help everyone including the NHS, concentrate on obesity rather than the diversity bollocks we witness all the time. For me you could clear 75% of the supermarket shelves as a starter, a huge amount of what’s on there is pure crap as is the  whole junk/fast food industry. when you tell people you shoot and eat rabbits, pigeons, deer etc they look at you like you are insane, yet they will happily ram a festering happy meal into a child 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Some links will post some won’t whether it’s an  iPhone issue or a paywall issue etc I’m not sure. I don’t have the answers other than a greater return to more natural produce but that is ever harder with the increased population and immigration etc etc. I’m not as confident in any at as you are that modern medicine is not involved especially seeing as the increase is marked up as 25% in the young. A drive to educate people on the benefits of physical ( pack in this ridiculous fat is ok body positivity stuff) and therefore mental fitness would help everyone including the NHS, concentrate on obesity rather than the diversity bollocks we witness all the time. For me you could clear 75% of the supermarket shelves as a starter, a huge amount of what’s on there is pure crap as is the  whole junk/fast food industry. when you tell people you shoot and eat rabbits, pigeons, deer etc they look at you like you are insane, yet they will happily ram a festering happy meal into a child 🤷‍♂️

Bringing back Home Economics, or teaching cookery skills in school by some other means would help I reckon. It'd be great if wild meat could be included in that but that's just going too far. Imagine the reaction by all the fluffy bunny loving mummies and daddies!

This probably explains why the increase is marked up as 25% in the young - they eat more of the crap as a proportion.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Cambridge and Bristol researchers study food diaries and say consumption is "higher than ideal".

Regardless of whether or not medicines are carcinogenic, there's plenty of other adverse side effects. If general health was better there wouldn't be such a need for them. It would save a hell of a lot of money too. Obesity for instance is costing the NHS and the economy billions now. (~£60 billion total seems to be the rough figure)

• Like 1

I'll have to dig out the link one day but something like this:

"I take abc drug to counter the side effects of def drug which I take because of ghi caused by drug jkl for my sore back which is caused by obesity" - something like that.

Often doctors don't get chance to solve the root cause and are only reacting to the symptoms - might help if they were allocated more than 10 minute appointments.

Yup, fresh air and exercise are perhaps more valuable than we think (though the headlines a few years ago when patients were given free gym passes, if I remember right were on the outrage side of life)

• Like 1