Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

15 hours ago, Big J said:

I haven't come across him myself.

I don't see what the problem is personally. It's his land and it's a modest structure. It's providing holiday let rental without taking a home for locals out of circulation.

Us Brits spend far too much time worrying about what other people are doing rather than focusing on being happy in ourselves. 

1 minute ago, Conor Wright said:

I've used a combination of loopholes, exemptions and a healthy dose of **************** you towards the system to happily purchase and build on my own property without the interference of any government regulators.

Planning rules in many countries are outdated and work against the ordinary person just trying to get on in life. Do you really think everyone would build garish mansions without such ridiculous restrictions in place or would it create an environment of more comfortable, stylish and more efficient homes? As opposed to numbered boxes?

The fact its a rental does change things a little. If he lived in it full time I'd fully support him. I find it a little harder to support his actions as its obviously a profitable endeavour for him. Still, have to admire his position. Its a high quality, unique build with a high amenity value and will generate some local business. If the planners eventually accepted that place with the sharks tail sticking out of the roof (wherever it was, can't remember) then this surely must be of greater benefit and build quality. My money says it'll be there 20 years from now.

Having looked a wee bit closer at this, in his own words he inherited the country pile where there is a pheasant shoot at near £2k per gun and a "sporting club" which was incorporated as MORVAL ESTATE CLUB LIMITED Company number 13370014 30 Apr 21, he is a parish councillor who passes judgement on the planning applications of others (but doesn't think they apply to himself) and there is no record available at Cornwall Council webpage of the legally required declaration of councillor interests which is required to be lodged with the Monitoring officer for Cornwall Council within 28 days of becoming a Cllr and should be publicly available to view.  Having said that, it seems there are some fairly deep rooted and significant administrative issues associated with the broader parish council management looking at their latest annual governance return.

We're not talking about a poor man with simple needs here, we are talking about landed gentry bending the common man up like a pretzel and going in without lube.  

I particularly liked the shark roof scenario and was a frequent visitor to that street which was only minutes away from my Grandfather's house.  I seem to remember that after all the grief that man received from the LPA he decided to put a tank in the front garden as a final FU.  Good man!  I'm right up there on the line with anyone taking a stand against the tyranny and oppression of 'the man' but this is not that my friend....  

Here is the HE listing of the house, its not like he's struggling for a spot to lay his head is it...  

HISTORICENGLAND.ORG.UK

List entry 1311992. Grade I Listed Building: Morval House. May include summary, reasons for designation and history.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

I've used a combination of loopholes, exemptions and a healthy dose of **************** you towards the system to happily purchase and build on my own property without the interference of any government regulators.

Planning rules in many countries are outdated and work against the ordinary person just trying to get on in life. Do you really think everyone would build garish mansions without such ridiculous restrictions in place or would it create an environment of more comfortable, stylish and more efficient homes? As opposed to numbered boxes?

The fact its a rental does change things a little. If he lived in it full time I'd fully support him. I find it a little harder to support his actions as its obviously a profitable endeavour for him. Still, have to admire his position. Its a high quality, unique build with a high amenity value and will generate some local business. If the planners eventually accepted that place with the sharks tail sticking out of the roof (wherever it was, can't remember) then this surely must be of greater benefit and build quality. My money says it'll be there 20 years from now.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

City council designates 7.6 metre installation by artist Bill Heine a protected landmark

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 10.00.51.png

19 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Interesting to revise the origins of the shark - which I had forgotten....

21 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

...king brilliant!   She's got some swallow on her 😂

How's this for a derail:

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 10.05.15.png

APPLE.NEWS

Scotland will announce new funding towards the loss and damage from climate change...

Literally nothing more than woke virtue signalling that is beyond stupidity. She should really take a look around some areas of Scotland and see what her propensity to play the big stage and open the doors to thousands of so called asylum seekers  is doing to local communities and culture. Like all politicians she should remember this is tax payers money she is wasting. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

Maybe we should suggest to Nicola, to combat the supposed rise in sea levels.

Why not use the hills to create a few more massive dams to hold back all the waters ?.

Or we just dig a 30mile gorge one side of Hadrian's wall, we can level off the bumps in the lake District with the spoil and at the same time solve the sea level "problem". 

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I particularly liked the shark roof scenario and was a frequent visitor to that street which was only minutes away from my Grandfather's house.  I seem to remember that after all the grief that man received from the LPA he decided to put a tank in the front garden as a final FU.  Good man!  

Nowt to do with this thread but I think you're talking about the tank-driving prat in Croydon who also stuck a shark through his house roof as a finger to the LA...?

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Interesting to revise the origins of the shark - which I had forgotten....

Am I reading it right that now he couldn't take it down even if he wanted to due to structural issues or a need to repair the property?

I'm sure a pathetic few in the planning offices had a chuckle about that. Creating a burden on the current owner isn't it? I doubt it was built to last this long!

But it's still there. That's the point I was making. In some ways thats a victory in itself for the guy who installed it. I wasn't aware it had been listed.

also shows how weak the planners actually are. They obviously failed in any way to actually remove it. just managed to shuffle some paper furiously and get paid every month until one of them eventually had an idea which meant they could claim the upper hand, after all, that's all they are about. Control. Control of how you live, where you live and how much it costs you to live there.

Obviously some level of control is required to stop unsuitable developments or absurdly oversized private dwellings, but there is scope for fundamental change for the better and to bring it back to the tree house, I prefer to see things like that without permission than another block of crappy boxes with it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

the supposed rise in sea level 

I just can't help but wonder at what point people like you are going to get on board with the changes ahead.

Will it be when rice is no longer available in the supermarket? Not just a dozen different brands, or a choice between basmati or jasmine... any rice.

Or will it be when you can no longer visit Spain during the school summer holidays because there's too great a risk of quite literally poaching in temperatures and humidity that the human body - most life, in fact - is unable to deal with. 

I'm sure there's a word in German for the vague and intangible, sort-of bittersweet emotion that comes from observing people who have yet to come to terms with an horrific truth. They've got a word for everything, those Germans. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, peds said:

I just can't help but wonder at what point people like you are going to get on board with the changes ahead.

Will it be when rice is no longer available in the supermarket? Not just a dozen different brands, or a choice between basmati or jasmine... any rice.

Or will it be when you can no longer visit Spain during the school summer holidays because there's too great a risk of quite literally poaching in temperatures and humidity that the human body - most life, in fact - is unable to deal with. 

I'm sure there's a word in German for the vague and intangible, sort-of bittersweet emotion that comes from observing people who have yet to come to terms with an horrific truth. They've got a word for everything, those Germans. 

Or maybe our climate will by then be suitable for growing rice etc and, being white Europeans we will keep most of it for our fat selves and sell the excess at huge profit to those remaining friendly tribes in return for keeping other marauding hordes from taking over and pillaging all before them and killing us all in a massive, brutal bloodbath from which only a few survive and go on to live a nomadic subsistence life until one day millenia later one of them discovers this magical dark liquid which burns thus changing humanity 2.0 forever

****************. Maybe we're stuck on infinite loop here.

• Like 2