Best mini digger?

csservices

Interesting thanks. I do don't fencing and not looking to get into it but banging in lots of tree stakes in a short amount of time would be a slight cost saver but a huge body saver (which as a I get older is often more important).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another follow on note from my above post, and i say this as i assume you do a fair bit of fencing too, a 2.5-2.8t will handle a post knocker with a 180kg-200kg hammer on it. A 1.5t by comparison feels on its limit with a post knocker with a 100kg hammer. big diffeance really, trouble is with the larger machine I have to transport the post knocker seperately as it becomes over weigth to have it all on the trailer. Faff for 1 day type jobs if your on your own. I usually have 2 of us one transporting the digger and the other trailer with the post knocker and materials, so no differance than standard to tractor and postknocker/truck and trailer setup really.

If you don't do fencing just tell me to shutup!

Don't do much fencing anymore, sold my tractor mounted knocker 2 or 3 years back now, have got a lad with a tractor mounted that I can hire in when needed, the digger is to be a new diversification/add on to the business

Don't do much fencing anymore, sold my tractor mounted knocker 2 or 3 years back now, have got a lad with a tractor mounted that I can hire in when needed, the digger is to be a new diversification/add on to the business

sounds sensible:001_smile: I get pretty fed up with fencing myself- and would much prefer to be using my digger more for what it was designed for:laugh1:

If you've only got a few posts to do and can't be bothered to get someone in a 1.5t will still do it. Another useful attachment for any digger. Yes I know pictures wrong way!

How do you find the P10, do you use it on your own? I had one for a while but found the mid mast hitch position meant that it had to be nearly always at full reach, I think it would be lot better if it was hitched to the digger at the bottom of the mast so you can bring it in closer. I have the P18 on a 3 tonner and it is like this. I also think a control valve for the hammer next to the mast could be a usefull thing if working on your own.

Bit of a thread hijack but I'm working on a new knocker now, based on the one developed by Mark Hibberd for his 1.8 Tonne machine.

His mount is about 1.02M up the mast for his Cat 301.8c and he's thinking of lowering it by about 150mm. I wonder what the optimum height is and how to determine it . . . is it based on the geometry of the machine's arm and stick, or how it's operated or both ?? If I can figure this out I can measure the machines I'm considering and make sure my mount height is optimal, or adjustable .

I am also hoping to do the hammer control from the mast, anyone got ideas on how best to achieve that in a cost effective manner??

Thanks

Foster

Bit of a thread hijack but I'm working on a new knocker now, based on the one developed by Mark Hibberd for his 1.8 Tonne machine.

His mount is about 1.02M up the mast for his Cat 301.8c and he's thinking of lowering it by about 150mm. I wonder what the optimum height is and how to determine it . . . is it based on the geometry of the machine's arm and stick, or how it's operated or both ?? If I can figure this out I can measure the machines I'm considering and make sure my mount height is optimal, or adjustable .

I am also hoping to do the hammer control from the mast, anyone got ideas on how best to achieve that in a cost effective manner??

Thanks

Foster

I would say it's pretty obvious a 1.5 tonner will struggle for height so go for lower mount if possible, and due to geometry quick hitch etc, usually a bit of mock up farm engineering can beat the CAD drawing when a bit of real world applications are thrown in.

I assume you wish to have a control on the mast rather than operate the auxiliary circuit from the actual machine?

Eddie.

Thanks

Foster

I would have thought you would want to hammer from the cab, how do other guys do it?

I have a knocker on our telehandler, if we have lots to do then I have a man on the ground, otherwise fairly useable from the seat.

Rod