Reducing/shaping trees without an eye on the ground.

karl1991

D.P.M.

Distraction Pruning Method

On completion of the crown reduction you leave an obvious branch sticking out the lower crown so when you get the client out to view the tree their eye is drawn to the 'sticky out branch' (technical term). This is the Distraction.

They then say, "Looks great! but what about that branch sticking out the side there?"

You then say, "Oh yes, I'll take that off no worries"

You remove said branch and the client is 100% happy with the job.

This method comes from years of trying to explain to clients that we actually removed a lot of the crown you just don't notice it because it's a proper crown reduction.

The Distraction Pruning Method aka S.O.B. (sticky out branch) makes them feel involved and shows how much foliage/branchwork has been taken off all around the crown. It also makes them think they're clever that they spotted the problem, it puts the power back in their hands :thumbup:

That's unprofessional in my opinion.

When I'm done, I'm done.

If they don't like it I just explain that I'm a professional and they're just a short-sighted pensioner, then march them down to the Post Office to get my cash.

I've hardly ever had to slap them about a bit.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not have a groundie with you that day CSS?

Not my job and not naming names but they left a very nice weeping willow looking like a mug tree and 3 very poorly shaped maples one of which has now got 50% dieback in the crown.