Stationary Rope Work Positioning (SRWP) Research Project

BenR

Sadly I think the only way we would know for sure is sadly someone going to court over it. There's no history of it happening so, it's all best guess at what will happen.

Why would people go to court over it? I'm employed and use srt on most trees. I never actually asked my boss just brought a wrench and played about on it until I felt comfortable. It's no more dangerous in my eyes then drt. I do think it would be good to have a separate industry standard qualification as it is different to doubled rope.

Why would people go to court over it? I'm employed and use srt on most trees. I never actually asked my boss just brought a wrench and played about on it until I felt comfortable. It's no more dangerous in my eyes then drt. I do think it would be good to have a separate industry standard qualification as it is different to doubled rope.

Your missing the point "sadly" is me saying someone gets seriously injured and say hypothetical the insurance doesn't pay out for you falling out of the tree on a non ce marked system/ non recognised system of work for example.

A court battle could ensue from the boss against the insurance, you against your boss and possibly your boss against you.

Possibly outcome worst case: you don't get that payout you need.

Not rocket science, just a very good reason why what Ben and nod are doing is extremely important.

The way I see it is the industry is evolving at a rapid rate and standards are behind, dare is say it we could probably do with our own EN testing numbers. For example just google some of your equipments EN numbers during lunch.

Which in itself would in my eyes probably make the industry better for testing of safety equipment.

Just how I see it and I'm more than holy to be enlightened and explained of the error of my thoughts.

Ian

***** :lol::laugh1:

I climb on a hitch climber and rope wrench for access and work. Usually with a tip tie but a base anchor does have its uses for access but I'm worried about it being open to damage when working (from groundie and dropped material from climber)

We tend to pick a anchor with rope over it tie a running bolan with a ring on the rope to prevent rope to rope chaffing. On the tail of the bolan we hook a second climbing line via a crab for rope reteveal, this line can also be used for rescue access as long as the climber still has weight in the first rope. Once access is made the second line needs retiring or the reducer uses there nor all climbing line to conduct the rescue. I can get pics if this doesn't make sense :laugh1:

I would be interested in your survey but can't find it.

I will try again mine was P.i.kE.y :laugh1:

Your missing the point "sadly" is me saying someone gets seriously injured and say hypothetical the insurance doesn't pay out for you falling out of the tree on a non ce marked system/ non recognised system of work for example.

A court battle could ensue from the boss against the insurance, you against your boss and possibly your boss against you.

Possibly outcome worst case: you don't get that payout you need.

Not rocket science, just a very good reason why what Ben and nod are doing is extremely important.

The way I see it is the industry is evolving at a rapid rate and standards are behind, dare is say it we could probably do with our own EN testing numbers. For example just google some of your equipments EN numbers during lunch.

Which in itself would in my eyes probably make the industry better for testing of safety equipment.

Just how I see it and I'm more than holy to be enlightened and explained of the error of my thoughts.

Ian

I see, cheers for clearing that up. When you said court I thought you were going to say that srt is actually against some sort of regulation. I didn't think about the the insurance side of it to be honest.

Copied and pasted from a Facebook set group. Just another example of different nomenclature

DRT: Doubled Rope Technique = one system

SRT: Single Rope Technique= one system

2DRT: Two Doubled Rope Technique= two systems 2SRT: Two Single Rope Technique= two systems

2DSRT/2SDRT: Doubled. Single. Rope Technique= two systems: one Doubled and one Single.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all very much for your input. Ben & I have received over 100 completed surveys which will be the starting point for the project & something for us to get our teeth into.

We can all become sidetracked with the most simple of things but we hope that we can maintain focus on the aims & objectives of the project & in due course produce a document that is fit for purpose & that addresses most, if not all, of the issues affecting those choosing SRWP as their preferred method of getting to work.

There will soon be another survey directed at employers that will be disseminated through the AA & aimed at approved contractors.

Many thanks up until now

Nod

• 1 month later...

Ha i just came to have a look on the forum and ask for clarification on if it is single rope or stationary rope technique - looks like its not 100% certain yet. I had an issue when working ona project with guy with an IRATA background - when i mentioned Double RT he seemed to thing that it meant the same as using two lines in rope access - so i started using the terms Stationary rope and Dynamic rope technique. I cant see how workign of SRT is any different from the standard Ddrt - in that there is only one rope - if it gets or you anchor fails not to worry as the ground will stop you - but the momment ay work is carried out then a secondary anchor needs to be applied (i.e side strop) The only real issue i find is with using a base anchor where by activity carried out by others other than the climber can result in a rope breakage - potentially at a time when the climber isnt stropped in - when i spoke to an IRATA worker about using two ropes all the time his explination was mainly about how you have a half a dozen other idiots hanging up there with you - some of them using cutting tools and high pressure jet washers so there is much higher chance of one of your ropes being cut. but essentially one rope attahcnment is fine for access / positioning - when working a second rope attachment is needed regardless of the system being used.

I think this survery and project is a great idea as it looks like SRT or what ever you want to call it - is here to stay in the arb industry and i for one applaud that as it has made my life easier and i reckon iäll get a few more years out of shoulders yet becasue of it - and that guide lines and legislation need to kept up to date with the industry.

should have thought of that as it makes sense - still 14 years of saying double rope technique is going to take some time to alter in the grey matter - but i'm looking forward to a new official clarification in terminology that is applicable not just to arb but across industries.