shock absorber for SRT ??

Meanwhile in the real world :001_tt2:

I agree with you but in practice it does not always happen.

Only this weekend I was up a large Horse chestnut reducing the top must of been 1m above my anchor on skinny stuff, so 2 m fall, I was lanyarded in but that's not a life line, it was the safest option I had at the time to achieve the job efficiently.

Don't worry I get your joke about the real world. I used that quote because that is any climbers grounding and there are many ways to avoid a pendulum or longer than necessary fall especially with SRT that are so simple and not time consuming. You should not need a shock absorber or fall arrest in your system at all.

Don't worry I get your joke about the real world. I used that quote because that is any climbers grounding and there are many ways to avoid a pendulum or longer than necessary fall especially with SRT that are so simple and not time consuming. You should not need a shock absorber or fall arrest in your system at all.

Agreed, I have often thought with the snake anchor what kind of fall you would need to have to have it begin to absorb, those stitches I believe are designed to fail at 4Kn, your rope will also have some absorption and so will the anchor point in terms of flex, so I reckon you would need to have one hell of a fall before the shock absorbing function of the snake anchor kicks in. Although I have never tried it.

Personally I think it's a poor marketing trick, the snake anchor is a great product that would of been just as useful if those stitches were rated higher.

The via ferrata absorbers, they are on very small lanyards so minimal rope in the system attached to steel cable that are static so minimal absorption, so adding an absorber is prbably going to help.

We may all climb from time to time with to much slack in our system that's our choice but it is usually always avoidable.

I agree in that we should follow the best practices as much as possible, i also agree the life isnt like a text book and sometimes you have to risk a bit more slack here, a angle f more than 45 degrees there, a bit of a free climb and a singing of the 'climbing above my anchor point song'. I just felt from my limited experience of SRT that the slack occuring was a bit more often - mainly if im close to the main stem as i find clipping in a ascending the line i just bump into everything so prefer to climb the tree. - I guess i should just use my side strop set up as a small climbing line if i do this - be nice if the customers paid by the hour... but that is really no excuse - rushing to get a job done - as we all know that is when bad stuff happens.

The stiching on the snake anchor is rated to 5kn and is designed to help absorb the shock of an anchor point failing - how effective it is i dont know - and be interesting the see how the rest of my gear and my spine held up to that kind of abuse

If you were worried you could employ a yates screamer (which deploys to around 30cm) in the even of a shockload. As Marc said its no use in the back of the system at the base anchor.. better used at a your primary support point... or just keep your line tighter and use your lanyard appropriately :)

I have often thought about using a screamer within a rigging system @ the pulley. Especially for high loads on flawed trees - help dissipate the anchor force if required, or even with a green groundie learning to run the rigging.

Sorry for the derail ;)

Yeah ive noticed the rope does stretch a fair bit - im using tachyon at the mo and so far only done SRT with a base tie - its weird an slightly uncomfortable feeling - and you can physically see the rope stretch, so dont jump into it as amuch as i would DRT - sometimes use my side strop to 'lower' my self into the main climbing line after sorting a redirect - and its that kind of thing that makes me feel that SRT is much slower than what im used to - but it will come with time i guess

Tachyon includes the 'FlexifirmTM' which has the qualities of a static/low stretch rope under normal usage but when shock loaded is behaves more like a dynamic rope. Combined with Colemanjessenz's point and you've got your shock absorbing requirements well covered.

Or just avoid slipping.....

Alpine Butterfly tied and blocked against a ring and ring offers a fair amount of absorption too.

I dunno why people assume a screamer is needed for SRT though, it never comes up with DdRT systems which are much more static due to the rope being doubled over.

If you are anchoring properly and slack tending properly then you don't need a screamer.