blowers

bob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha; sorry Bob. It's up to 100. Over 100, your employer is legally obligated to have your health monitored on a regular basis, on their time and money, and over 400 points is illegal.

I'm an employer. If any of my staff wanted me to start monitoring their health I would get rid of them. Yet more shite for small businesses to swallow.:cussing:

I dislike legislation,but that is because i think you can end up with people trying to stay within the law,and not looking at the real problem.

We should all be resposible for our own health and safety,and that of those around us.

If you use hedge cutters all day you know its not good as you hands feel sh1te,i have bought the new stihl hedge cutters and they are so much better.The pole hedge cutter is realy bad and i only use them for very short periods.

One of the good things about having the hiab trailer is not having to do lots of ringing up.

I did use the stihl hand held blower and found that to be realy bad and left my hand numb,so i would not use one or ask any one to use one.

If you use hedge cutters all day you know its not good as you hands feel sh1te,i have bought the new stihl hedge cutters and they are so much better.The pole hedge cutter is realy bad and i only use them for very short periods.

those new stihl hedge cutters are very good.

I'm an employer. If any of my staff wanted me to start monitoring their health I would get rid of them. Yet more shite for small businesses to swallow.:cussing:

Unfortunately that is the kind of attitude that has led to all this legislation.

You staff should feel they can come to you if they feel they have a problem and that you will work with them to solve it.

With your attitude your staff will just say nothing till the problem is realy bad then they will seek legal advice and sue the arse off you.

If you use hedge cutters all day you know its not good as you hands feel sh1te,i have bought the new stihl hedge cutters and they are so much better.

This is a textbook way to protect yourself or your employer from HAVS; Upgrade from your rattly old machines to shiny, new, low-Vib versions.

Other tried and tested methods are:

Share trigger time out between employees;

Use a manual tool e.g. brush;

Use a smaller saw with less vibration.

This Syndrome could effect us all. I'm starting to feel it and i'm only 24.

It's not a matter to shrug off like you're immune just because you're a small business. You owe it to yourself and your employees to minimise risk and damage caused at work.

Macho Man threats of sacking are laughable, in my opinion.

It's like saying 'I'm going to sack you because you won't cut-and-hold,

or because you make sure you clear an escape zone when you fell,

or you won't start off a diesel siphon with your mouth.

Use a smaller saw with less vibration.

I agree with everything you've said, but I recently had issues with the one above, The biggest saws we are allowed at work our 372's. I had a job to cross cut a big ash, If I'd have had my 660 it would have taken no more than 1hr with a 372 it took nearly two days!

it took two days because we are only allowed 2hrs trigger time a day on the 372 and it also resulted in a lot of fafing around trying to roll and move large bits of timber. If we'd have been allowed 1hrs trigger time on the 660 it would have been a lot quicker and cut out a hell of a lot of manual handling. there has to be a common ground. between the two extremes.

Unfortunately that is the kind of attitude that has led to all this legislation.

You staff should feel they can come to you if they feel they have a problem and that you will work with them to solve it.

With your attitude your staff will just say nothing till the problem is realy bad then they will seek legal advice and sue the arse off you.

:dito::dito::dito: I agree entirely. My business is part time at the moment but I'd never ask anyone that works for me to do anything I wasn't prepared to do. I'd also be ashamed if I felt they couldn't raise concerns with me.

In the day job I know our gaffer will back us all the way if we have problems with working practice thats how it should be.

once worked for a "don't Give a dam employer" My health suffered greatly I developed HAVS and bad knees, he wasn't interested so I waited till his busiest time of year when he was flat out, turned round one friday night and said I strat a new job monday get Stuffed! I had no respect for him as he didn't for me.

I agree with everything you've said, but I recently had issues with the one above, The biggest saws we are allowed at work our 372's. I had a job to cross cut a big ash, If I'd have had my 660 it would have taken no more than 1hr with a 372 it took nearly two days!

it took two days because we are only allowed 2hrs trigger time a day on the 372 and it also resulted in a lot of fafing around trying to roll and move large bits of timber. If we'd have been allowed 1hrs trigger time on the 660 it would have been a lot quicker and cut out a hell of a lot of manual handling. there has to be a common ground. between the two extremes.

Yeah, of course you should use a big saw when you need it, like on big timber.

I meant 'don't use the 441 just because the 341 is blunt (unless you can't sharpen it) or behind it in the toolbox. Right tool for the job, so to speak :)