Distance learning Arb courses & qualifications???

Hound-Dogg

I believe what I have written isn't nonsense in the slightest as it has never been remarked upon. That said, I would be interested to see what was thought of my work from other parties outside of the college tutors as I doubt we receive feedback from the external assessors other than whether criteria were met or not.

I'm looking forward to starting the lvl4 and then the lvl 6, but based on what people have said in terms of workload, I'm a little worried I'll balls it up, but If I don't go for it the last year and my plan has gone to the proverbial dogs.

I have been told that the lvl 6 is easier (to schedule) than the lvl 4 as it's not crammed into one single year, and thus the workload is more manageable.

I've always worked on the fact that word count and markign schemes are there to give you an idea of what level of depth and knowledge the answer requires.

500 words is about 1/2 - 3/4 page of typed 12 point A4 (iirc) so it's not a lot of words and they are after a short, concise answer. 10,000 words gives much more freedom and expectation to really explain everything. Similarly an exam question with 1 point only wants a short answer, 10 points wants 10 bullet points or a similar length answer.

What I like about studying sciences is the expectation to keep answers short and simple. I like to work out the number of main points that I need to cover and expand on each point enough to fill the word count. If I have much more to write I check the question to see if it's actually necessary.

It may be that those writing 3000 words when only 500-800 are required are writing at a level or two above what they're studying. I've studied with lecturers before who have basically said once they get to about where the word count should end, they stop reading, so no point in going over. At Uni I was told 10% either way so made sure I kept to that.

On the L6 you only get a word count on the research project - 10,000 plus or minus 10% I think from what I remember. If you submit pages of nonsense though they won't mark it. They will skim over and ignore and just mark the relevant bits. You soon get the hang of it, there is a lot of work at L6 and you don't have time to waffle, you wouldn't stay on top of the work and you would ultimately fail. Staying on topic and nailing the assessment criteria is part of the skill of working at L6.

That!

It's difficult if you're not already practiced or skilled in writing.

• Like 1

I believe what I have written isn't nonsense in the slightest as it has never been remarked upon. That said, I would be interested to see what was thought of my work from other parties outside of the college tutors as I doubt we receive feedback from the external assessors other than whether criteria were met or not.

I'm looking forward to starting the lvl4 and then the lvl 6, but based on what people have said in terms of workload, I'm a little worried I'll balls it up, but If I don't go for it the last year and my plan has gone to the proverbial dogs.

Sorry wasn't referring to you when I said nonsense, more my early assignments. I wrote pages of work that was not marked as it was not relevant.

I have been told that the lvl 6 is easier (to schedule) than the lvl 4 as it's not crammed into one single year, and thus the workload is more manageable.

Don't know who told you that but not according to the people I did it with. I did tech cert before L6 so can't comment on L4 but other said it was a big step up. Its not easy to schedule either. The workload is insane. You will need to work every night and every weekend if you want to do it in two years. You will also need to work through the holidays to catch up.

It may be two years but the level is higher so you need to research more and I'm pretty sure their are more units. Not to mention the research project which is the real challenge. The landscape / nursery unit is at L5 and is the same as in L4. I remember it feeling like a bit of a break as the expectations of the AC were so much lower.

My advice would be don't under estimate it but don't fear it either, its very rewarding. Just get stuck in and go for it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 25/05/2016 at 12:54, Hound-Dogg said:

Thanks guys, this is really helping me form a decision. I think i will do the HCC ABC level 2 certificate over the next year, so i have some theory before i start, and will do L4+ later down the line if/when I decide to move off the tools.

Cannot wait to get cracking now!

Hound-Dogg - just wanted to ask, did you do the course in the end (or anyone else done this one recently)? I'd be really interested to know how you're finding it. HCC does appear to be ABC accredited now if not before, and while some reviews/feedback suggest the tutor interaction is a little 'limited', it's not a huge cost and I would take it on assuming the research and graft is left largely to the individual (i.e. no great guidance or hand-holding, as you might get on a full time college course). Any feedback gratefully received.

I work in another industry but have been interested in trees/woodland from a young age. I'm a trained cabinetmaker and wood machinist, experienced woodturner, and read about aspects of arboriculture for pleasure (tree species, tree anatomy, wood-rotting fungi etc); I'm looking at taking the distance learning ABC Level 2 in Arboriculture with HCC, just as a kind of self-improvement exercise, and try and structure/extend my knowledge of a subject I already have an established interest in. 

Any feedback further to the discussion above welcome. Thanks.