Distance learning Arb courses & qualifications???

Hound-Dogg

I am 33 and worked a couple of weeks on occasion as a groundie and loved it, so decided to plan for a career change and move into tree surgery when my contract runs out in my current office job next May.

My current plan is to save money this year, and do an intensive course to get most of my major tickets immediately after i finish this job. I know tickets are nothing compared to experience, but that will come with time, and i see this as the quickest and cheapest way to get started.

During this next year I would like to learn Arboriculture theory, and do a distance course. I have looked on here, and searched the net and am fairly confused ball the different courses and if they are as valid as each other, so i was wondering if anyone with experience can let me know their thoughts.

I want to do a level 3 course really, but the only distance courses i can find are level 2. other wise there is a Diploma, but it doesn't seem to be recognised by C&G, NPTC etc - is it worth the same? would i still be just as employable if the certificate was not C&G? The courses i am looking at are both from the Horticultural Correspondence College - is it any good?

Course 1: HCC ABC level 2 certificate in arboriculture

or

Course 2: HCC Diploma in Arboriculture

Thanks for looking at this - would anyone who has any advice please hit me up!

Edited by Hound-Dogg

The ABC level 2 is a well know, recognised course and would be a good grounding in the theoretical side of arb.

The HCC info suggests that their diploma is taught at a higher level but as far as I can see it's not accredited by a recognised body so you may find it's not much use. Do treelife do a level 4 correspondance?

A level 2 is plenty to get you started if you are aiming at being a tools arborist. If you want to take the academic side further perhaps you could do a higher level later.

Thanks for the responses guys. Looked into the Treelife correspondence course and they do a level 4, but it started in March, so I am too late to get on board this year which is annoying, as it does seem best - I could potentially get a Diploma out of it.

Good to know that the HCC level 2 course is recognised. I want to learn the theory for my own knowledge more than anything, but i figure I might as well get a good certificate and be more employable too.

Not sure if you guys have experience, but would it sway your decision to hire someone with a level 2 or would a level 3 be much more valuable in your opinion?

A level 3 is always useful in the long run and may make you more useful for tree inspections, with experience. you are unlikely to regret being better qualified.

If I was hiring a climber I'd want them to be good at climbing. If you are looking to being a climber, experience and a good attitude to work are most desirable assets.

I would take careful consideration before deciding on a home-study course based on level alone.

Without any prior knowledge or experience in arboriculture, the level 4 may prove to be hard going.

I'm 34 and currently going through the same motions as you're planning. I'm just about to complete my level 2 with Myerscough, and, from what I am told, the level 4 is a lot more work intensive. Hopefully this will be less so with the basic underpinning achieved with the level 2 - if anything the level 2 prepares you for the home study time management — something I struggle a lot with.

I do wonder whether I may have been OK going straight in to level 4 with tree life, but I don't regret starting with the more 'basic' level 2 — I definitely underestimated the content and workload.

To the best of my knowledge the most common route for distance learners is level 2, then 4, then 5 or 6, but obviously this depends on experience and previous academic achievement.

I would really recommend getting some voluntary experience in a place like a country park or a nature reserve if you can. Give you a different perspective on trees in that environment as opposed to just tree surgery. A good way also to put the theory into practice as well as doing tree work

Good to know that the HCC level 2 course is recognised. I want to learn the theory for my own knowledge more than anything, but i figure I might as well get a good certificate and be more employable too.

Not sure if you guys have experience, but would it sway your decision to hire someone with a level 2 or would a level 3 be much more valuable in your opinion?

Hi there, and indeed welcome to the industry and "good luck with everything, but a point of clarification here.

Whilst the HCC level 2 course may be recognised, it is not accredited, meaning (I think) it is not registered with a formal awarding body, e.g. ABC Awards or Edexcel (in an academic context), nor is it registered on the QCF (qualifications framework). However as an opportunity for learning and advancing knowledge it's probably fine.

I think the course is certificated, so you will have evidence of learning, but it may not be recognised / accepted if, for instance, you wanted to progress to the ABC Awards level4 ARB, or FdSc ARb (level 5,) and they asked for a level 2 qual as a min. pre-requisite. Speak to TreeLife or Training Tree or a land-based college (Myerscough / Capel Manor / Merrist Wood etc.) to confirm this.

The ISA Certified Arborist, "watch this space", is also well worth looking at as a very good 'craftsman level' learning option.

Cheers fer now n "enjoy"..

Paul