Distance learning Arb courses & qualifications???

Hound-Dogg

Myerscough seem to offer the award;

Arboriculture (FE)

However, in all honesty, it seems a worthless expenditure of time...

There is hope to continue the education, I just need to get my head around it all :biggrin:

Sorry, I may have been confusing; I was only referring to <lvl3 in reference to opening doors. Most, if not all, jobs I see advertised for arboriculturalists (generalising tree officer, surveying, and consultancy type roles) require a level 4, or above, as a minimum.

The level 2 and level 3, give the basis upon which to build to further career prospects, but in themselves don't create the opportunities — compared with NPTC certs and experience. I don't think many employers would take someone on based on a level 2/3 qualification alone

Just checked the ABC website - there is an award at L4 but not L6, only cert and dip.

I agree, L4 is for those wishing to get off the tools at some point.

Thanks guys, this is really helping me form a decision. I think i will do the HCC ABC level 2 certificate over the next year, so i have some theory before i start, and will do L4+ later down the line if/when I decide to move off the tools.

Cannot wait to get cracking now!

• Like 1

I did my level two RFS cert Arb with HCC and am just finishing my Level 4 diploma with The Training Tree. The difference between the two courses is immense, not just in terms of the subjects covered by the workload.

I completed the level two in around eight months working a couple of Saturday's a month on the course work. The level four however takes up a lot of your time, I have regularly been doing a couple of hours each night after work, all day Saturday and some Sunday's to keep on track.

I would definitely recommend starting with Level two unless you have some significant experience as the step up is fairly significant and the biology side of things is hard going at Level four. Level two does help to condition you for the level four if that makes sense.

Take a look at The Training Tree, Lisa Sanderson is the trainer and is very good. They are doing the level two now I believe and were looking at offering it via distance learning so well worth a look.

I did my level two RFS cert Arb with HCC and am just finishing my Level 4 diploma with The Training Tree. The difference between the two courses is immense, not just in terms of the subjects covered by the workload.

I completed the level two in around eight months working a couple of Saturday's a month on the course work. The level four however takes up a lot of your time, I have regularly been doing a couple of hours each night after work, all day Saturday and some Sunday's to keep on track.

I must be doing something wrong, I'm doing lvl 2 coursework and reading daily and still cutting fine.... Perhaps doing way more than its required.... :/

I must be doing something wrong, I'm doing lvl 2 coursework and reading daily and still cutting fine.... Perhaps doing way more than its required.... :/

What time scale are you aiming to complete it in? I had already done a level two in arb but wanted to do the rfs level two to get back into studying after a break so found myself going over old ground. I did it in 8 months but found the workload fairly manageable, IMO the level four requires much more time and effort

What time scale are you aiming to complete it in? I had already done a level two in arb but wanted to do the rfs level two to get back into studying after a break so found myself going over old ground. I did it in 8 months but found the workload fairly manageable, IMO the level four requires much more time and effort

I had no experience so learning from nothing.

The full term, Sept to June, so 10 months

But on average, when the assignment requests an 800 document I hit over 3k, oops.

Certainly manageable, I think I just want to get the most out of it and hopefully make the work for a lvl 4 a bit easier

I had no experience so learning from nothing.

The full term, Sept to June, so 10 months

But on average, when the assignment requests an 800 document I hit over 3k, oops.

Are they ok with that? When I was at uni they would penalise you if you went over by more than about 10%

Are they ok with that? When I was at uni they would penalise you if you went over by more than about 10%

I assume it is dependant on tutor, college, and awarding body.

I have emailed my tutor in the past and stated I'm struggling to fit in what I think I need to say to show a good understanding of a topic. He expressed it's generally OK, the word limit is to prevent meaningless drivel.

I would also assume a university level course, such as the lvl 4 diploma or lvl 6, would be more realistic on word count as I do feel some of our ours are unrealistic; 500 words to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of CODIT for example..... maybe I am just a serial waffler. :001_rolleyes: Which brings me back to working hard, not smart :blushing:

I assume it is dependant on tutor, college, and awarding body.

I have emailed my tutor in the past and stated I'm struggling to fit in what I think I need to say to show a good understanding of a topic. He expressed it's generally OK, the word limit is to prevent meaningless drivel.

I would also assume a university level course, such as the lvl 4 diploma or lvl 6, would be more realistic on word count as I do feel some of our ours are unrealistic; 500 words to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of CODIT for example..... maybe I am just a serial waffler. :001_rolleyes: Which brings me back to working hard, not smart :blushing:

On the L6 you only get a word count on the research project - 10,000 plus or minus 10% I think from what I remember. If you submit pages of nonsense though they won't mark it. They will skim over and ignore and just mark the relevant bits. You soon get the hang of it, there is a lot of work at L6 and you don't have time to waffle, you wouldn't stay on top of the work and you would ultimately fail. Staying on topic and nailing the assessment criteria is part of the skill of working at L6.

On the L6 you only get a word count on the research project - 10,000 plus or minus 10% I think from what I remember. If you submit pages of nonsense though they won't mark it. They will skim over and ignore and just mark the relevant bits. You soon get the hang of it, there is a lot of work at L6 and you don't have time to waffle, you wouldn't stay on top of the work and you would ultimately fail. Staying on topic and nailing the assessment criteria is part of the skill of working at L6.

I believe what I have written isn't nonsense in the slightest as it has never been remarked upon. That said, I would be interested to see what was thought of my work from other parties outside of the college tutors as I doubt we receive feedback from the external assessors other than whether criteria were met or not.

I'm looking forward to starting the lvl4 and then the lvl 6, but based on what people have said in terms of workload, I'm a little worried I'll balls it up, but If I don't go for it the last year and my plan has gone to the proverbial dogs.