Akimbo

Hey guys, just thought I would let you all know that the akimbo was amazing today on HTP 11mm, It's got so much better with more wear and changing up the spring/new cam.

Still not had to heart to try it on cougar again seeing as it's now a dream on the HTP. Must try the cougar tomorrow!! Maybe the anodising is a factor Jaime as of course the new cam you sent me for the top wasn't anodised at all. Nice to be able to post some really positive feedback. Fingers cross for tomorrow..

My new htp arrived today. I'm sat here really looking forward to going to work tomorrow to try it out. Nice sunny weather, thinning sycamores on new rope. Can't wait now that it sounds like a good rope. New cam and springs sounds nice. Did you ask for them before the akimbo were sent out or have you got them after. If so, how much £ if you don't mind me asking.

I had a better result today.

I changed the spring at the weekend for the weakest version Jaime sent out. Decided to try it on cougar Orange as it was very dry and sunny. It worked really well. I will get it into a bigger tree on the cougars next time but IMO the weaker spring allowed the top cam to release a wee bit easier.

It still wasn't as nice as the Htp but was on the way alright.

Sounds promising ben , need to get one of these different cams n springs.

Was it releasing easier as well as tending ?

Yeah the works, all lovely Matty! To be honest I'm not sure how much is the cam and how much is the fact that I bent the spring so far it basically does nothing and may aswell not be in there...:001_rolleyes:

The cam is only ever so slightly different in size. It just wasn't anodised. Jaime can probably better explain how it is different.

I also seem to be having less trouble with rope drag with the tail deflected away now too. Maybe that's just the akimbo wearing in..

James you will probably find that the new HTP milks like billyO, but once it is done milking it is great. I milked mine off both ends working out from the middle so I got about 1ft excess cover each end. I did that so I could do a little cover only straight bury splice. Gives me a nice little eye each end for pulling the line in and attaching retrieval balls etc.. plus I'm OCD :blushing:

Good to hear it's getting better for you on the cougar Rich. Amazing what a difference a spring and some dry weather makes haha..:thumbup1:

I'll chime in here even though I haven't used the Akimbo.

When I got my BDB, descending was jerky as hell on Cougar Blue. After a few climbs it was still horrid so I did a few long fast descents and suddenly the BDB and rope were in perfect harmony.

It does appear that mechanical devices and the rope need to bed into each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well, today was superb. The Akimbo has been just what I had always expected it to be.

Brand new Sterling htp and dry. Not sunny like I was hoping but can't have it all.

The htp is absolutely brilliant compared to the cougar blue. Not once did it feel too stiff to release and was a nice smooth action. I'm not so sure about the self tending but because I was using a pantin most of the time. But it has certainly made me happier today!!👍🏻

Well, today was superb. The Akimbo has been just what I had always expected it to be.

Brand new Sterling htp and dry. Not sunny like I was hoping but can't have it all.

The htp is absolutely brilliant compared to the cougar blue. Not once did it feel too stiff to release and was a nice smooth action. I'm not so sure about the self tending but because I was using a pantin most of the time. But it has certainly made me happier today!!👍🏻

Before I changed the spring I found that it would only self tend with about 20 metres of rope hanging below me. Mainly because that top cam was just jamming itself into the rope constantly because the spring was so damn strong. :thumbdown: You can take it apart and just bend the current spring that is in there into a tighter V shape. That should help quite a bit.:001_smile: Glad you liked the HTP, shame it's just so hard on the hands.