Council makes 2 decisions on same tree - any experience?

Arbre

• 2 weeks later...

OUTCOME........

Rather than go ahead with felling I phoned the Council and enlightened them about their inconsistency , they arranged for Tree Officer to meet me on site on the day of work.

Tree Officer was slightly reluctant but he realised his inconsistency as he was the actual officer who approved the application in 2015 and declined the other application in 2016. As the tree did have a clear flaw in it's stem so he (reluctantly) agreed it could come down based on the original permission.

So all is good, everyone happy.

OUTCOME........

Rather than go ahead with felling I phoned the Council and enlightened them about their inconsistency , they arranged for Tree Officer to meet me on site on the day of work.

Tree Officer was slightly reluctant but he realised his inconsistency as he was the actual officer who approved the application in 2015 and declined the other application in 2016. As the tree did have a clear flaw in it's stem so he (reluctantly) agreed it could come down based on the original permission.

So all is good, everyone happy.

PHEW ! :biggrin:

The TO has no option but to allow felling. You have permission to fell which lasts two years.

The council or his Admin team should have flagged this up prior to making the second decision. Hopefully, they will get their procedures in place to stop this happening again.

Stick to the approval notice and take no further notice of what the TO has to say. I would't meet him/her on site because there is no need for further discussion.

As to the inconsistency of the TO. Perhaps the TO needs to go back to college if one day he says one thing and the next, he says the opposite. What hope do we have if the Council can be so wrong.

As to the inconsistency of the TO. Perhaps the TO needs to go back to college if one day he says one thing and the next, he says the opposite. What hope do we have if the Council can be so wrong.

Sounds a bit harsh without knowing the facts. We all make mistakes from time to time. Do you need to re take your cs39 assessment because of that fence panel you broke a few years ago?

They should have come back to you if they could now afford to have the tree down, after all I assume it was you that put the leg work in originally. I'd be inclined to let them keep their tree personally

Me too, I would have shredded the consent and informed the TO of the fact :biggrin:

Sounds a bit harsh without knowing the facts. We all make mistakes from time to time. Do you need to re take your cs39 assessment because of that fence panel you broke a few years ago?

We do all make mistakes but this was a pretty fundamental mistake which should not have occurred. The first decision was not the mistake, the first mistake was making a second decision and the second mistake which is the reason that the TO needs to rethink his knowledge, is that he came up with a totally different opinion about the tree. And assuming that Stubby's comments are correct, there should not have been any reluctance with letting the original decision stand.

Fortunately I do not have to take my cs39 but I do keep up to date with CPD as required by the Arb Assoc.