dutchmans

MattyF

sorry for the bad quallity vid but thought i would share the use of a dutchmans to get this sycomore that was leaning and weighted towards a septic tank to the area i wanted it in....quite a task with the hinge wood holding capabilities of sycomore so used a dutchmans to swing it around some more

006-3.flv video by MattyF_bucket - Photobucket

Edited by MattyF

Was there a reason for the camera being held at a strange angle?????????

like i said bad quality sorry i posted it but was bored!its on a slope and the trees lean gives it that impression i think for the angle ,there was another tree next to it that blew over two years so i suppose no cover on that side of it could of killed it.....along with honey fungus

its on a slope and the trees lean gives it that impression i think for the angle ,

In that case you need to have a word with the people the house behind, as they have some SERIOUS subsidence :001_tt2:

I'm only pulling your leg :thumbup:

Good of you to take the time to post.

Its not a cut I have ever used, I must try it on of these days.

In that case you need to have a word with the people the house behind, as they have some SERIOUS subsidence :001_tt2:

I'm only pulling your leg :thumbup:

Good of you to take the time to post.

Its not a cut I have ever used, I must try it on of these days.

no worries ...I think a straight dutchmans is invaluable,i use them all the time to get the hinge to break early and the cut limb or tree to jump.... was the first time i had tryed a swing dutchmans on a largish tree though!

Nice one Matty,Dutchmans certainly have their uses.They are used for several trees a day by Loggers,especially when "Thinning for Harvest" when the trees are felled between rows of 'Final Crop Trees".It helps to minimise the amount of "Hangups" and then "brushing" and "rolling off the stump" that is required.

The majority of Dutchmans that I have done, have been single cuts,level with the bottom cut in a conventional scarf(gob),for a lesser swing.But for a heavy side lean like that Sycamore, I would guess that about 3 cuts would be required, depending on how much swing you are trying for.

Thanks for Posting.