Ocd customer

Gavin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a contractor who sorted his non paying customer by putting a plough on his tractor & working over his lawn for him.

What intelligent way to respond :thumbdown:

I bet that was a great advert for his Co, I'm sure it got him loads more work.

If the house holder took him to court do you think he would come across a reasonable person???

The house holder would say the work was not carried out correctly, so they had not payed, his actions have strengthened their case.

He is a fool, IMO.

What intelligent way to respond :thumbdown:

I bet that was a great advert for his Co, I'm sure it got him loads more work.

If the house holder took him to court do you think he would come across a reasonable person???

The house holder would say the work was not carried out correctly, so they had not payed, his actions have strengthened their case.

He is a fool, IMO.

I agree Dave, none of these actions will show any company in a positive light. Most customers are more than willing to pay up on completion providing you do a good job as per quotation.

I have only had 1 customer in 11 years not pay (apart from bankrupsies) which was for £80.00 for felling a cherry tree, I dont think they had any intension of paying from the start! Our debt recovery company are dealing with this. :thumbup1:

I thought that was a normal day?

I'd process the invoice and deliver by hand to the customer and ask if she wants to pay now to save her the cost and hassle of postage and help with your cashflow. If you have done such a good and tidy job she should be more than willing to pay you.

I would also type her a quote for the eucalyptus expalaining there may be a small amount of sawdust left on site due to the nature of the works and that this will decompose into the ground. Deliver this at the same time and you may get another job out of it and provided you price to allowing for her OCD your onto a winner!

:thumbup: Standard practice here.

Now working in N Wales I have noticed a DISTINCT difference in customer expectations on a clean and tidy job.

In surrey that scenario in the first job is standard practice, it was normal to be on your hands and knees picking up bits of conifer etc. plus hooking small conifer hangers out of annual plants etc.

All this just reinforces your professional nature and may well get you repeat custom with this 'difficult' client.

I'm sure you have easy days which off set the OCD nature of this one ?

I only had 2 non-paying domestic clients in Surrey in 8 years, both of those were small jobs. It's tempting to do something rash but as Simon says rarely effective and will bite you in the arse long term.

I never ask for payment the same day it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I have had 1 non paying customer. She decided that she didn't want the tree felled after all. I arranged the job with her husband but he was too spineless to stand up to me or her. In the end I felt better for telling her to keep her money as I don't deal with her sort.

Diplomacy and tact at all times me thinks.I Don't mind that sort of customer,i find them a challenge.Usually when they ask you to come back it means they're going to pay i've found.I think you should never show disinterest in follow on work,it's better than no work and you might be glad of it someday.:001_smile:

I don't quite get this... She hasn't not paid you yet so what are you getting all ready to dump on her drive and the rest :confused1:

Also why rummage in the truck for an invoice book. An invoice can be done on any piece of paper - perhaps not as professional as from the proper invoice book but then you could have asked her to pay there and then.

If this was the worst customer you've had in years then you've done well.....

I never ask for payment the same day it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I have had 1 non paying customer. She decided that she didn't want the tree felled after all. I arranged the job with her husband but he was too spineless to stand up to me or her. In the end I felt better for telling her to keep her money as I don't deal with her sort.

For private jobs I will always ask for payment at the time the job has been completed. Saves a lot of posting and eases your cash flow as well as not having to remind people.

I'd say pretty much all the people I've ever worked for are happy to pay when you've finished the job. Just a polite 'Well Mr so and so that's pretty much us all finished, if we could settle up that would be great."