EMERGENCY! Blood clotting stuff...

SteveA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that, a tourniquet is being taught to be applied after 2 bandages have studied through, that's a lot of blood out of the body that should be in it! In my experience, get a tourniquet on and leave it until the paramedic/surgeon get hands on. Also just because there is no external bleed doesn't mean there's not an internal one though, hence the importance of a thorough survey.

Celox bandage all the way, it's pretty easy to use but must be used correctly with pressure for 2 minutes. Never used celox granules, but have used Quick Clot granules (generates heat)and didn't find it that simple or effective in the field.

Just my 10 pence worth...

Of course everything is situation dependant. Hence experience and a high level of training is the most important bit of kit.

Just be aware that when you put that tourniquet on and leave it on they could lose everything below that. You could be a 2 hour wait for a heli vac in some remote forestry block. Or pruning trees outside an A+E.

As said before all situation dependant. If there leg has been cut in half and there's blood coming out like a hose, get that tourniquet on first.

I think I'm right in saying tourniquets are only to be used on catastrophic arterial bleeds ! ? ( where a major artery has been cut or severed ).

Or if I'm right in remembering, if all other attempts at stopping blood loss have failed.

3yrs between each EFAW is too long imo

Agreed but the timelines you'd be looking at for casevac in the UK I think you'd be OK. They hurt like hell when applied correctly, more so than the injury, so and a conscious causality might not be so compliant when applying it a second time😁. It all depends on the circumstances, nature and mechanism of injury time to collection and so on, I know but I would rather risk a bit secondary injury than altering something to bleed out.

Hahaha, I think he's already got some in his hand bag! (sorry Steve, couldn't resist!)

:thumbup: for the Israeli trauma bandage

Very funny...

For your information a tampon like plug was used in surgery a long time before a surgeon thought to use them on women.....

Sorry missed a few posts between mine. I'd hope an air ambulance would be with someone with this type of injury pretty swiftly (hopefully), it's properly life threatening. May have to fell hls though.

17.50 for 1 x15g pack :biggrin:

I keep one on my saddle with an Israeli bandage

Oh, yes, you are right.... they are £17.50 for one satchet. That's the kind of mistake I make first thing in the morning. I may have got distracted by the chocolate croissant crumbling over my lap!

Hahaha, I think he's already got some in his hand bag! (sorry Steve, couldn't resist!)

:thumbup: for the Israeli trauma bandage

I have indeed young man. I saved myself a few pennies too - by washing them out. :blushing:

Foxmedics recommended the impregnated bandages.

These are very different to an Israeli blood stopper, or tampon.. They do much more!

The granules as others have mentioned are difficult to apply especially under stress and in inclement weather. The granules end up places that you don't want them, like eyes.

They highly rated the impregnated bandages for our industry, and tourniquets... Neither of which I had been shown on previous first aid courses and I have been on many over the years...

Now I'm confused!! Quite a few have given a thumbs up to the Israeli bandages and you are saying to go for an impregnated bandage.

Is similar to a Stihl vs Husky moment?!

cheers, steve

Oh, yes, you are right.... they are £17.50 for one satchet. That's the kind of mistake I make first thing in the morning. I may have got distracted by the chocolate croissant crumbling over my lap!

I have indeed young man. I saved myself a few pennies too - by washing them out. :blushing:

Now I'm confused!! Quite a few have given a thumbs up to the Israeli bandages and you are saying to go for an impregnated bandage.

Is similar to a Stihl vs Husky moment?!

cheers, steve

The Israeli bandage is just an updated first field dressing, ie a large wound dressing, with a cool securing method. It doesn't have any clotting agents in it. Celox, Quick Clot etc are types of clotting agents via various means and application types such as impregnated bandage or granules. You really a couple of each if your going to have a bad day. Hope this helps.