Bought some Beech

Hoss

The arb trade calls it "starting to rot", Shigo will fill you in on the details

what's shigo?

to be fair having a second look i think i am mistaken and it is a pathogen which in time will rot out as skyhuck has stated rather than redheart which is just normal colour for some older beech trees.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what's shigo?

to be fair having a second look i think i am mistaken and it is a pathogen which in time will rot out as skyhuck has stated rather than redheart which is just normal colour for some older beech trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Shigo

Still essential reading for anyone dealing with trees and timber

A New Tree Biology and Dictionary

Modern Arboriculture - Touch Trees

Tree Anatomy

The bits that are soft will stay that way but the rest will be fine. I milled one the same as that and the boards are still sound two years later.

Maybe but its a fine line between useable and gone too far. In simple terms the tree "as was" has written that timber off and compartmentalised it, abandoned it to its fate.

All that nice colour, "spalting" and what not, its just decay pre cursors

not all colour will be spalting.

here is a good description of redheart in beech.

Redheart

OK, you are calling it redheart, or rather the site that is there to sell you things has used that term and you have swallowed it. I think its better described as a decay pre cursor.

If you read through the baffleology on that site it lists what you need to look further into. chromophoric just means it has changed colour but it sounds nice and scientific. initiated by external factors means the changed state is a reaction and its usually to damage. oxygen entering the wood fibres , well yes but that's mostly a red herring, far more significant is the action of pathogens (fungi for the most part). They make enzymes which change the state of the timber. Loosely speaking, lignin and cellulose are digested at differing rates causing the change in colour. Google brown and white rot for more on that or this book is the daddy (IMO) Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees | Francis W.M.R. Schwarze | Springer. This is a good "wiki" page on the subject it even has a decent picture of the compartmentalisation process although its on Acer rather than Fagus and I think the age thing is a mile off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_of_decay_in_trees

In some timber you can get a marked colour difference lignified and non lignified cells (sapwood and heartwood) but its usually highly regular in form. Laburnum is a particularly good example and I can see how a bsologist could get to "redheart" from a place like that.

Generating redheart

is a natural process in living beech trees, in which, simply put, provisional substances are transformed into chromophoric ingredients. The pigmentation of the core is initiated by external factors. The most common causes are branches, that have broken off, and other injuries, which lead to oxygen entering the wood fibres (xylem).

this one arrived only last year from julian mitchell at totally trees Home and is on here as http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/members/totallyjules.html

this tree fell over root plate and all in high winds but was totally sound. the colour goes through the entire tree branches included and is solid as the rest of the wood.

redheart has often been described as a polite term for heartwood in beeches as it can have a varied width sapwood.

it's along the same lines as olive figure i ash, not all ash trees have it but it's not fungal decay or even a precursor.

597670cc17efe_beech1.jpg.d24167f824f95048eb07d4ea95d50c72.jpg

597670cc1b37d_beech2.jpg.f8b72cf7b92127954995bc28c8cb2c6b.jpg

597670cc1f5b2_beech3.jpg.888ed0d55334b77d30ce24e3321871fb.jpg

597670cc21486_beech4.jpg.a3dad3502d0e0205eceee9673c83763a.jpg

597670cc23466_beech5.jpg.f69cab50b600e5b5deaeee44d48969fd.jpg

597670cc2762a_beech6.jpg.651479ed2c2809506d743f0eaf9cc3f7.jpg

597670cc2974f_beech7.jpg.a3844b05ebfe2cf7269675b0795dfafc.jpg

597670cc2b6e8_beech8.jpg.54202d5a1121bec10ae8201af49da84b.jpg

597670cc2e1a8_beech9.jpg.eb7e75dc759edbcb57fecde1bdee4c46.jpg

597670cc31095_beech10.jpg.dc91e65284d6b9540cdd71eb5145382f.jpg

this one arrived only last year from julian mitchell at totally trees Home and is on here as http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/members/totallyjules.html

this tree fell over root plate and all in high winds but was totally sound. the colour goes through the entire tree branches included and is solid as the rest of the wood.

redheart has often been described as a polite term for heartwood in beeches as it can have a varied width sapwood.

it's along the same lines as olive figure i ash, not all ash trees have it but it's not fungal decay or even a precursor.

Its commonly know as brown stain in the UK trade.