Wedding centerpiece rings price

Coletti

Sorry if this bores anyone as it's another what's this worth post. I have been asked to do some rings for wedding table center pieces but have no idea how much to say. I have done one up as an example. They will all be 4 year seasoned English elm, sanded to 120 grit and oiled with boiled linseed oil. Can anyone shed any light/suggest how much I should charge? Here's the first one.

1461083653981.jpg.115d19ee97143d60819484816853ab1b.jpg

1461083664377.jpg.db25ec8d177cf4f3da4fc1129750d155.jpg

Always awkward

Presumably you know the person which makes it worse..

I did one last year out of a wide plank but it was very uneven and ended up with 8 hrs.

I always think what's my hrly rate

What's it cost me then gulp no way dare I charge that so give it away rather than work for £2 per hr😭

I don't know them, just gor a referral via Facebook. She would like 10 and I think to get them all cut, sanded and oiled it'll take me half a day so was thinking along the lines of £50 for all 10. I personally think that's reasonable but I'm always dubious as to weather people will think it's expensive

Hi I've been doing a lot of these over the last couple of years.I charge £15 for a 8'' £20 for an 12'' and 25 for a 14''.These i turn on the lathe to get level then a light sand and apply two coats of food safe oil.With the chunky ones with the bark left on that can be a night mare due to bark and cracking these i do over several months.I'll start with cutting to size on two to three year air dried lumber put a ratchet strap around bark and clamp top and bottom store indoors for a month by then it has a crack or two glue these up and the bark if needed.Then clamp and strap again for another month store indoors.This i might continue for months and months.Did a lump of Oak this way took me a year just kept splitting and bark wouldn't stay on.I now hire this type of stand out as then it was more a hobby and now a small business .I found the best way to do them with bark on is to cut a couple of days before needed and store in cool dark room.Most people want from 14'' up and I'll charge £20 upwards.Not bad for a bit of firewood worth pence.If you carve out a heart and do some wood burning £50 £60 .Have a look on the bay it's amazing what people will pay for a centre piece.

Kev

Lumber to Wonder

Edited by David Humphries
Language

Hi I've been doing a lot of these over the last couple of years.I charge £15 for a 8'' £20 for an 12'' and 25 for a 14''.These i turn on the lathe to get level then a light sand and apply two coats of food safe oil.With the chunky ones with the bark left on that can be a night mare due to bark and cracking these i do over several months.I'll start with cutting to size on two to three year air dried lumber put a ratchet strap around bark and clamp top and bottom store indoors for a month by then it has a crack or two glue these up and the bark if needed.Then clamp and strap again for another month store indoors.This i might continue for months and months.Did a lump of Oak this way took me a year just kept splitting and bark wouldn't stay on.I now hire this type of stand out as then it was more a hobby and now a small business .I found the best way to do them with bark on is to cut a couple of days before needed and store in cool dark room.Most people want from 14'' up and I'll charge £20 upwards.Not bad for a bit of firewood worth pence.If you carve out a heart and do some wood burning £50 £60 .Have a look on the bay it's amazing what people will pay for a centre piece.

Kev

Lumber to Wonder

Thanks fot this, was thinking maybe £50 for 10 was a little over the odds but it would seem it's under and maybe I should charge a little more...these are approx 12" and in English elm so no common timber by any means. What oils are food safe out of curiosity as I hadn't considered that.

Edited by David Humphries

We did a similar thing a year or so ago . Although Birch was requested . Mind you it was a medieval wedding . So all we had to do was deliver 2" thick Birch disc's at 18" across x 20 . Just enough room to put a pitcher of ale on :001_smile:

As it was a regular client we did this for free . Ended up with all the beer / lager that was leftover from the night time do . :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thanks fot this, was thinking maybe £50 for 10 was a little over the odds but it would seem it's under and maybe I should charge a little more...these are approx 12" and in English elm so no common timber by any means. What oils are food safe out of curiosity as I hadn't considered that.

Used Danish oil on something similar and it worked a treat! It's what my brother in law who is a kitchen fitter uses on kitchen work tops! So food friendly.