Converting an oil fired AGA to a wood burner

difflock

We got an AGA sitting unused.

We were for buying a wood burning Stove/Oven Hob for the new garden Room.

Only for space heating.

Could it make sense to convert the AGA to burn timber, being 100% "bone-dry" Conifer.

Rather than spend £1,500 to £3,000 on a dedicated wood burning stove (with a Lohberger at the £3,000.00 end)

I reckon we will need about 5kW to the room, as there will be underfloor heating as a background heat.

I would not particularly wish to "butcher" the AGA, but if it is only scrap value otherwise . . .

And I dont believe I could stomach running it on KERO, even 6 months a year, perhaps in my later years, but not now.

regards

M

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see how an Aga could be converted to wood.

We have a solid fuel one, we burn anthracite. Its loaded once daily through a hole in the hot plate, the hole is only about 4" in diameter and the fire box is very small. The flue gases pass through a hole smaller than an old 50p piece, lighting it with kindling smokes the place out.

Rayburns can be converted.

We got an AGA sitting unused.

We were for buying a wood burning Stove/Oven Hob for the new garden Room.

Only for space heating.

Could it make sense to convert the AGA to burn timber, being 100% "bone-dry" Conifer.

Rather than spend £1,500 to £3,000 on a dedicated wood burning stove (with a Lohberger at the £3,000.00 end)

I reckon we will need about 5kW to the room, as there will be underfloor heating as a background heat.

I would not particularly wish to "butcher" the AGA, but if it is only scrap value otherwise . . .

And I dont believe I could stomach running it on KERO, even 6 months a year, perhaps in my later years, but not now.

regards

M

I took a brief look at the redundant one in the kitchen at work, there doesn't seem to be room for a wood burner but the wick is similar in size to a pellet burner so it may be feasible to add the ID fan from a pellet burner to the flue and use the ash pan and burner. You would need to cut a hole for the fead auger. The fuel hopper would need to be well sealed but by changing from an inclined auger to a horizontal one it may be possible to feed dry graded woodchip.

An alternative would be to cram a rocket cook stove in there and feed it with long thin sticks. A rocket cook stove is typically around 5kW

PS with warfarin no longer available for squirrel hoppers they would adapt as rocket elbows as long as zinc from the galvanising isn't an issue

Edited by openspaceman
ps added

No issue re flue, it will be new Dinak twin wall stainless, I saw somewhere the need to up the flue connection to 5" from 4", plus enlarge the airways (which are artifically "throttled" at some point)

Anyway "suck it and see" may well be the best approach before lashing out on a Nectre Baker's oven from Australia or a Lohberger.

Or sommat equally exotic.

I will be better informed once I take a better look at wot we got

regards all

marcus

Mine took about an hour to convert, and cost about £130. You will need a spider/riddler, the plate that the riddler sits in, and replacement fire bricks that you break trying to take out.

Also check to see which type of chimney liner you have.

My Aga has no firebricks, its all cast iron, it does have a riddler. Do you drop the logs in through the top :confused1: