Stihl 2 stroke oil

stihlmadasever

Yes i sell Aspen synth 2 stroke oil to a few customers requiring Bio oil , i see you sell Echo Power blend ,very high ratings from users in the States .

From my own observations the Bio Synth oils have yet to sway me due to there inability to stave off rust in standing machines .

Yes from what I've read the echo power blend blend is a very good oil, just getting the specs for it is a bit difficult. I understand what you mean about all those pounds soon adding up!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banghead: Basestock!

Stihl Ultra is probably very average.

Watch the video link at the bottom of my posts.

"probably very average" is hardly a scientific answer though. Ok, so RL use a quality 'base stock' but do we actually know that Stihl use a lower grade base, or is it just supposition?

The RL video bangs on about high detergency and clean pistons, and this is also what Ultra claims to achieve. (TBH, how often do you find a piston as black as the one in the video, whatever the oil?)

It seems that Ultra is good enough for our industry (along with the other synthetic oils designed to cope with the more demanding modern engines) so do we really need to be rubbishing them without documented proof that others such as RL are any better?

Let us see the specs.

"probably very average" is hardly a scientific answer though. Ok, so RL use a quality 'base stock' but do we actually know that Stihl use a lower grade base, or is it just supposition?

The RL video bangs on about high detergency and clean pistons, and this is also what Ultra claims to achieve. (TBH, how often do you find a piston as black as the one in the video, whatever the oil?)

It seems that Ultra is good enough for our industry (along with the other synthetic oils designed to cope with the more demanding modern engines) so do we really need to be rubbishing them without documented proof that others such as RL are any better?

Let us see the specs.

Agree with you there Barrie , at the end of the day Stihl are not going to push some " average " oil as there top of the range lube then offer 2 years warranty on a pro machine .

TBH i think the top end oils are all in the same ball park , some are bound to be slightly better than others that's life .

Let us see the specs.

For the second time; it's not just a "quality" basestock. Motul use ester basestocks. Only RL using Poly-ol ester. There is nothing better.

I reckon Stihl ultra is fine for this industry too; but I'm not a lowest possible denominator kinda person.

I do not accept that I was rubbishing other oils; merely pointing out some facts, not fiction. You need to do a Tribology degreee.

I will see if I can dig out specs.

Oh I almost forgot; in 1999 (PgDip) we did lean-off destructive testing of two-strokes as one part of oil testing; nothing much spectacular occurs but the 2-cycle oil contributes considerably to the longevity under such conditions.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

My interest in oils has been stimulated by TDC's in depth of lubricants, and a bit of research does show that using Polyol ester base stock does indeed create a higher grade 2T for extreme use. This may be a bit belt and braces for out industry but if it gives an operator confidence then that is great.

I was also pleased to see that Rock, whose 'groundsman' 2T oil we sell, also use Polyol ester based stock in their racing two strokes. Could this offer another alternative for those wishing to step up from Ultra, and Rock is British!

Incidently, we have never had an issue from customers using basic semi synthetic Rock Groundsman 2T oil.

To clarify RL basestock is 100% POE, not a blend including some POE.

Another thing; it's a race oil; designed to be used up fast! Doesn't like being stored for too long and has been reported to attract water. So dont make up 20 litres of 2 stroke mix with it nd leave it for 6 months! This might be one area where RL does not 'perform'. I am always seeing it from an extreme wear protection, heat and shear stability perspective.

To clarify RL basestock is 100% POE, not a blend including some POE.

Another thing; it's a race oil; designed to be used up fast! Doesn't like being stored for too long and has been reported to attract water. So dont make up 20 litres of 2 stroke mix with it nd leave it for 6 months! This might be one area where RL does not 'perform'. I am always seeing it from an extreme wear protection, heat and shear stability perspective.

Ethanol and Synth oil are Hygroscopic , great combination .

Quite. Blame the fuel!

Why I now do a Stubby and put RL2 in Aspen 4...

Use Ethanol Shield where I have to tho...

Aspen 2 has given excellent results in my customers machines , most are infrequent users so Aspen 2 is ideal for long layups .

In the States they seem to be able to purchase Ethanol free fuel which would suit Redline better ?