Buying a Router for making mortices?

jamesd

For me it depends on what your making the mortices in.

If its rough timber for fence panels and gates etc then chain morticer for definate.

If its pse timber then a bench morticer

If fine detailing then i use hammer and chisel

I have just bought myself some timber frame chisels as well to do large mortice holes, but like steve, i also do it for a living. Its not often i use a router for morticing, but when needed on site, they do come into there own to speed things up a bit. Get a good quality one like dewalt, trend, or my favourite, a makita.

cheers

Thanks for the help, what chisels do you use for making the mortice? proper mortise chisels?

I like these......

Mukoumachi Nomi | FINE TOOLS

What about one of the moticing attachments in a pillar drill, I got one with mine and its a handy gadget and the few times I have used it the results have been good. If the timber is large you would need a suitable support of course. Cheap and cheerful if your drill press is man enough.......