Best first pick up (cheap)

Stoatally

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem a lot if I'm honest as you can run a brand new truck for the same money!

That works out at about £5,500 a year , it would be interesting to see how that compares to running a new truck , including depreciation . Personally , I don't need all the fancy gadgets that you get on modern trucks , like electric windows , aircon or radios . Less to go wrong !

I've had the L200, Ford Ranger, Mazda B2500 and the Hilux, all were pretty good but the L200 was by far the worst on fuel and have a really bad turning circle, the Rangers and Mazdas were good but the Hilux is far superior in every department, better on fuel, better off-road, turning circle of your average car, carry more weight and will tow more, I'm running an old mk5 2002 d4d hilux now with 170,000 miles on the clock which is nothing for a hilux and it never misses a beat.

Imo the mk4 hilux is the best but one thing you can guarantee with any of them they will never loose much money even when there battered they'll still be worth more than a mint L200 or Ranger.

I've had the L200, Ford Ranger, Mazda B2500 and the Hilux, all were pretty good but the L200 was by far the worst on fuel and have a really bad turning circle, the Rangers and Mazdas were good but the Hilux is far superior in every department, better on fuel, better off-road, turning circle of your average car, carry more weight and will tow more, I'm running an old mk5 2002 d4d hilux now with 170,000 miles on the clock which is nothing for a hilux and it never misses a beat.

Imo the mk4 hilux is the best but one thing you can guarantee with any of them they will never loose much money even when there battered they'll still be worth more than a mint L200 or Ranger.

I thought the older hiluxs had a ton-ish payload and and 2.2 ton towing capacity?? I think the ranger is 1.2 ton payload and 2.8 ton towing..

?

You can lease a brand new L200 for £200 a month or so. Won't even need an MOT if you do 3 years and will be under warranty. I think that is the route I will be taking to be honest. You need to spend so much to get a decent second hand truck.

I guess if it's going to get abused in a tough environment, leasing may not be the best idea.

My vote would be the for the ...................................... dunno:001_huh:

Hilux of that year is a gutless leaf sprung uncomfy cramped old beast that will go on forever.

Ranger is a great truck but you need to check the gearbox is ok because they are a bit of a lightweight unit. Make sure you drive before you buy.

L200 is the most car like but a tad under geared and engines are a bit fragile, they are prone to headgasket/cylinderhead failure if given too much stick. Great truck if you treat them with a bit of respect.

Landrover is ok if you are mechanically sympathetic and are handy with a spanner. Keep up the maintenance and they go on forever.

My choice , still dont know :)

Bob