Do we basically dislike the new generations of saws?

MudRut

Interesting question! I work on many types of saw and from an engineering point of view, the older saws have proper threaded metal castings, proper screws, over engineered bottom end bearings and we all know they will last 10-15 years with sensible use and not show any obvious wear issues.

The newer saws now use lighter harder screws, the manufacturers now don't tap the castings and instead rely on self tapping screws which tend to shear. Sure the saws are light, more economical, rev faster, make more power but when you see a 2014 saw being binned for a bearing in the bottom end letting loose and taking out the top end...it aint great! I cant see many of these newer saws being around in 5 years let alone 15!

The manufacturers are having to make the saws more environmentally friendly, this means, strato, autotune etc. The trouble with this technology is that it is relatively new and we have seen that there have been bedding in issues. I am not talking about the clutch bearings collapsing on MS261s (God knows what that was about) but more, the starting issues and seizes on autotune machines.

If you look at these issues, these new machines use a lot less fuel, les fuel means less oil, less oil means less lubrication and more heat which is bad for any two stroke - my opinion - use fully synthetic and 40:1 mix and that will hopefully keep the saw cooler.

Do I prefer the older machines - well......yes, they are easier to work on, parts are plentiful and they are solid workhorses with most of their issues ironed out but......I don't use them everyday to cut wood!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All interesting answers, especially from the MightySpudster in getting a maintainer's perspective.

There is lot more positive comment on this thread than I expected given the general tone of other recent threads. As I mentioned, I really like my 661. I think the HD2 filtration seems to be an improvement on the hit-and-miss setup on the 460.

It is a shame, though, that some saw-men have put their hard-earned into models which have failed then had to battle to get proper manufacturer support. I guess this is sometimes the fault of the dealers though.

Might fill the gap with a 362 sooner rather than later after all......:001_tt2:

regards

Ian

I'll take reliability and durability at the expense of half a kg extra weight and a bit less power but then I'm from the generation that expected things to last and be user repairable.

Lightweight/high performance/long term durability, pick any 2

Got a Husky 545, which was a great cutter and start on the 3rd or 4th pull every time. Until that is, after it had been serviced by the store I bought it from. Now it's still a great cutter but a pig to start cold or hot. And twice the trouble when there's a 'r' or a 'u' in the month.

yep starting issues with new saws are ****, i prefer to use my old echo top handle as it will start first pull when warm , leave 540xp in back of truck as needs several pulls to start which gets me stressed out ( as want to cutting not trying to start a saw). Just bought a almost new 346xp as i am sick of autotune.