Medical kit

stihlmadasever

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think First Aid Kits on your harness is a waste of time; invariably it's on the back of the harness and difficult to access.

All my guys carry a military field dressing in a waterproof cover (which can be ripped open with their teeth if need be) in their trouser pocket and have a whistle on a piece of starter cord attached to their chainsaw helmet; that way they're covered whilst aloft and on the ground.

All vehicles carry a full first aid kit with the more detailed contents including blood clotting granules, plasters, CPR mouth guard, more military field dressings etc.

I made up our kits using SP Services for the bulk of the items and using a waterproof case similar to the Peli but at a fraction of the cost.

Personally I think First Aid Kits on your harness is a waste of time; invariably it's on the back of the harness and difficult to access.

All my guys carry a military field dressing in a waterproof cover (which can be ripped open with their teeth if need be) in their trouser pocket and have a whistle on a piece of starter cord attached to their chainsaw helmet; that way they're covered whilst aloft and on the ground.

All vehicles carry a full first aid kit with the more detailed contents including blood clotting granules, plasters, CPR mouth guard, more military field dressings etc.

I made up our kits using SP Services for the bulk of the items and using a waterproof case similar to the Peli but at a fraction of the cost.

This.

What case have you got?

Agree with first aid kits on the harness being a bit pointless - after losing the third one last year, I don't bother now. If it is still there when you have an accident, some manky plasters that have got wet many times probably won't help!

Whistle attached to the helmet chinstrap, large wound dressing and rescue knife in leg pocket o trousers where I can get to it even with harness on. I should really get a CAT, I tell myself the Lyon sling and old krab I always have on my harness would do in a pinch, but not 100% sure.

Full first aid kit in the truck as said before.

Hi all,

Hope all you guys and gals are doing well.Id like some opinions on mini medical kits worn on the harness.

Firstly do you have one on your harness?

Which one do you prefer?

And whats inside.

The reason im asking is our employer wants too renew our kits and wants us to recommend the best kit for us to wear,size constraints and contents etc.

We use treemotion lights and petzl sequoia harnessess and currently have the stein medi kit on them.Some of us have the blood coagulent granules.

Any advice,opinions greatly appreciated.

A company down our way have developed a arb medical kit that clips on to your harness, they consulted a ex marine trained in medical field work and large trauma wounds (he now operates as a climber) . Have a look at their website see what you think (they do postage if it helps) it's Tree kit and they are based at Hurn near Bournemouth.

I struggle with the idea of conducting (serious) first aid in the tree. Applying a CAT yes I get that as a good shout. But applying celox, I'm not so sure you could apply it properly on yourself on the ground due to the pain (maybe I'm a wimp) let alone in the tree. The first tenant if first aid is remove from danger, there get on the deck. As already said I keep having on harness first aid kits breaking free.

Just my thoughts.

Same as a lot of you. Can't seem to keep my kit attached to my harness so I have a brand new kit in my harness bag at the foot of the tree at all times.

I recently cut through the top of my thumb with a silky while on my CS40 pruning course in the top of a big oak. The instructor offered to send a first aid kit up to me but I opted to come down. I was down in a matter of seconds on a zig zag one handed.

It was at that point that I realised that in the event of a more serious cut with a chainsaw, a quick descent would be my best option with a brand new kit waiting at the foot of the tree.

Trying to untie a kit from the back of a harness with one hand while spraying claret everywhere doesn't seem like it would be that easy.

Which is why I gave up re-tying battered first aid kits onto the back of my harness. 😱