Getting it wrong, but oh so right

Starscream

If it makes the OP feel better I'm doing some work for my neighbour at a great price, no one will get close to my price, my Husky 540 broke on a pretty much non paying job :). Actually to be honest I can't remember the last time I used my husky and it hasn't broken on the days I use it. :)

Anyone thinking of buying a Husky 540XP................12 months on I can honestly say just don't :)..........no really don't do that bad thing to yourself.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were a plumber would you have thought any different they turn up with a shifter and a screwdriver and charge more than we do and don't have 30-40k worth of gear

Maybe not, but I feel there are perhaps more rascals in this industry who proclaim to be able to prune a tree and charge full whack for it. In fact anyone with a ladder and a bow saw could attempt to dismantle one (a small one maybe!)

Put me in front of some pipes and a sink and I may as well be trying to build the international space station.

Point being, I'd say there are more chancers in our industry than in the plumbing or electrical world. Training to be a good plumber or electrician may take years; for this you pay a premium. I done my 30/31/38/39 in 2 weeks.

Has what happened on this job reinforced this belief?

It doesn't matter and I think this is probably the second time it's ever happened, and I've cocked up far more! I'm sure I will continue to get work from my neighbours but just wondered whether this type of scenario could have negative repercussions.

If she's a neighbor, then just go round tell her how you feel and see what she thinks..

Might just be that she does feel ripped, but going round will heal any wounds...

It also might be the case that she's more than happy with the price and job, and having gone round it'll inflate her opinion of you and your work ethic....

Would take a bit of balls, but this would be a nice course of action.

I think you need to do something so you can stop thinking about it.

If she's a neighbor, then just go round tell her how you feel and see what she thinks..

Might just be that she does feel ripped, but going round will heal any wounds...

It also might be the case that she's more than happy with the price and job, and having gone round it'll inflate her opinion of you and your work ethic....

Sounds feasible, can't do any harm if your willing to cut back the price, direct communication always seems to go down well.:001_smile:

This is difficult to say because you're obviously a good-hearted guy who's trying to have a bit of integrity, along with some understandable concern for your reputation....

But NO!!

People should pay for your skills, hard work and all the kit that backs up your profession. It sometimes seems like this industry is in a race to the bottom price-wise. How many folks on here have bemoaned the fact that industry pay has stayed static for the last (at least) ten years? This is why most small firms can only afford to sub-contract and not properly employ. This is why £80/day for a groundie with his own saw, PPE, fuel, and insurance is normal in some areas for a day of real proper graft.

Other trades have been mentioned and this is completely right. If you have the skills, the experience and the kit to turn this job into a couple of hours work then that's what the customers £330.00 paid for.

Stand tall, be proud and don't be afraid to charge what you're worth. If we're always cheap then this is what people will come to expect and so it'll go on...

(Gets down off high-horse!)