Parking a trailer on double yellow lines

Nice one, be good to put it to bed once and for all. :thumbup1:

Dont hold your breath.

Sometime you get a good responce quickly. Other times its no responce or such drivel you think they have read someone elses question.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just got the reply so as promised here it is.

This is the email I sent them

One of my customers has asked about the regulations re trailers being parked on the road whilst unattached to his vehicle whilst he is carrying out works in the area. He is specifically worried about yellow line parking restrictions but also any other instance where it might be a problem.

He question is as follows.

When a sub 3500kg trailer is unhitched and unassociated with a tow vehicle is it classified as a "vehicle" in its own right and subject to road traffic laws / Highway Code.

If not, is there any other regulation which would preclude it's being parked on the highway?

IE could it be given a parking ticket, subject to enforcement or towed away?

Thank you for your email of 13 March.

Our Technical Standards team have confirmed trailers are classified as a vehicle in their own right and must obey traffic law including all parking restrictions.

Additionally other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights. Individual councils may remove trailers if they are deemed to be causing an obstruction or have been left unattended/abandoned and they receive complaints from residents.

Yours sincerely

I hope that helps.

Not sure they quite "get" it though - who are they make the ticket out to??

As per the response, they would take the trailer away. Then if you want it back you would have to prove it is yours and pay any dues owed for removal and storage.

Only just found this thread, but the following may/may not be of interest:

I had need to park my old 110 and a 20' Ifor trailer overnight in central London about 6 yrs ago. Amazingly I managed to find two legit spaces on a side street off the Edgware Road, and even managed to reverse the trailer in to the space without hitting any other vehicles or re-sarranging any of the street furniture. Left trailer overnight locked to the 110, but put a ticket in the windscreen of the LR for both the LR and another for the trailer. I also placed a note on the trailer explaining what I had done.

Came out in the morning to find a parking ticket stuck to the trailer. Took legal advise as I was severely pi55ed off, and was told to pay up as they (ie solicitor) felt that I had failed to display a valid ticket on the trailer itself.

Other than confirming that Westminster City Council are a bunch of money grabbing sh*ts, it also confirmed that the trailer is regarded as a separate vehicle in its own right.

This point about overnight lighting is probably spurious for the trailers most tree surgeons use, there is a requirement for LGV's to be lit but AFAIK no requirement for anything sub 3500kg,,,,,,unless you know different.....

Sort of related... a passenger in a vehicle was killed in Inverness after crashing into an unlit artic trailer Chances missed to save father | Inverness Courier | Home

This point about overnight lighting is probably spurious for the trailers most tree surgeons use, there is a requirement for LGV's to be lit but AFAIK no requirement for anything sub 3500kg,,,,,,unless you know different.....

Well there is a requirement for all vehicles to have lights on overnight unless they are in a 30mph street light area so they wont be far out. Its just like siting a skip if you think about it.