Split maple worth keeping?

bergesonnursery

Question

Hi! I own a nursery and greenhouse business in northern Minnesota. A homeowner asked me if there is anything she can do to save her maple. See attached picture.

I said I'd have to refer her to an arborist, but also said I would ask in this forum.

I thought maybe it could be bolted together but I have no idea if that would be a viable long term solution.

SplitMaple.jpg.a42b47d9bf02a1694000fae3b58fceed.jpg

Yes it could be bolted, and maybe braced further up, then pruned a little to reduce some weight, and then subsequently pruned again every few years. Money after money basically for what doesn't appear to be a particularly special specimen, nor will ever grow to be one. Felling and replacing would be the most sensible option.

Hi Burgesonnursery, tree looks savable by bolts however it's worth asking your client if there is any targets within falling distance of the tree. Also the life of the tree could be dramatically shortened due to this failure or may not recover at all. If they consider this tree worth the risk of saving then add 2-3 bolts through the cracks (top,middle and bottom). Before installing the bolts it would be wise to try and pull the 2 limbs together and close the gap as much as possible (a ratchet strap is great for this) and install the top bolt first to hold it together whilst installing the other 2, be sure to remove the ratchet strap after.

Welcome to the forum👍

Ha ha ,I always thought that as well Steve , that's why I took the photos and sent them to some of the contractors who might deal with it and told one of them to address that the tree does need pruning as every one else probably has no idea there is 2 rods holding that union together.

The tree was supposed to of had a replacement planted that winter and felled around now but the council never did plant another , my guess is it will still fail again in the not far future the crowns getting big now.. Surprisingly usually Chestnut and metal don't react well , but it's completely callused over.

No other bracing Jake, at the time it didn't need it... ironically it's one of the only aesculus in the area not to of been ravaged by bleeding canker.

Decay may not be too bad, originally the tree looked as bad if not worse as the OPs picture, I think because the trees are young and vigour-is high the wounds compartmentalise really well but It is still is no substitute for proper formative pruning at a young age but it should give the tree a chance if a management plan is put in place to keep or replant and remove once it's replacement has established.