simple climbing system

briscoe

I'm mainly doing small medium tree works.

At the moment I have a 25m and 37m rope. With the 37m i use both ends of rope plus a 3m steel flip line when chogging down. The 25 used most often - smallish take downs/reductions. On small stuff i use the 25 and 3m steel flip line on side ds on willans harness. However I've recently heard you shouldn't hang off the side Ds? If I get a lanyard 5m positioning strop would this be used off the side Ds or main anchor bridge.

I'm mainly doing small medium tree works.

At the moment I have a 25m and 37m rope. With the 37m i use both ends of rope plus a 3m steel flip line when chogging down. The 25 used most often - smallish take downs/reductions. On small stuff i use the 25 and 3m steel flip line on side ds on willans harness. However I've recently heard you shouldn't hang off the side Ds? If I get a lanyard 5m positioning strop would this be used off the side Ds or main anchor bridge.

I climb with a 5m lanyard set up with a VT and use it on my main bridge, especially when installing. Once at my TIP I change it to my side d's for work positioning. Also change it back to my main bridge for difficult work positions. Really versatile.

I was taught never to hang from my side d's because, as mentioned before, you're side loading them with the potential to tear. They should only have lateral loading with your feet firmly placed. Buuutttt, I have hung from them before haha

Some confusion here I think it's fine to use BOTH side D's with a flip line only ( wire core if chogging down ) but not to be hanging off one as your main anchor. I had a lad work for me for a bit whose previous boss made him use both D's for his main line because he said the bridge was weak link in the system and only suitable as secondary anchor😕

No the 25m rope is my mainline connected to main bridge via prussik. I use the 3m flip line on side ds to secure when throwing mainline up to next branch. If I got a positioning rope lanyard instead of flip line would use this off side ds or anchor bridge?

Both, with the right setup. If you use a rope grab I don't think you'll be able to climb on it. By using a friction hitch with a pulley underneath you can do both.