Field maple worth milling?

MattyF

Got the thing on , getting it off was a different story , any way top idea josh it worked a treat hopefully I can save a few more logs for the mill now.

I recon I can cut 3" off the side flute at the base showing no immediate burring and fit it on the mill but will take some balancing!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1456845249.219806.jpg.1e1ba3fce3ad585debdd67a1d545d112.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1456845188.597969.jpg.8073ae19e57a35d871caf8a2c2a5ea5c.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not entirely sure j I would like to keep the timber or most of it though, we have quite a few projects I would like to do with it but maybe can come to an arrangement if I can get it kiln dried, I was just going to plank it along parallel with the one bit of Shake that also goes with the only way I would fit it on the mill, or I could saw it in half along that with the Alaskan and mill the two halfs on the band saw.. I'm totally open to ideas to get the best out of it.

Sounds a plan nick, perfect for the stickers you made us.

To get the best out of it, it wants to go onto a bandmill. The log cut on chainsawmill at say 1.5" versus a bandmill means you would lose at least two boards to sawdust.

If you want to hold onto the timber, bring it up here and I'll run it through the mill for free.

To get the best out of it, it wants to go onto a bandmill. The log cut on chainsawmill at say 1.5" versus a bandmill means you would lose at least two boards to sawdust.

If you want to hold onto the timber, bring it up here and I'll run it through the mill for free.

That's a very kind gesture:you're to be commended.

Thanks for the offer J , I doubt I would get that stick back on the trailer it has already gone through the bottom and the drive to Edinburgh would be a night mare it was bad enough on the country back roads ! If I can get some more over size stuff that's too big for my lumber mate I may try and organise a wagon up to you, I have some over sized burr lime and straight oak that's too good for fire wood that I would like to do but I'm not sure my mill is up to doing large hard woods.