Any ideas??

tommer9

Found this on a southern beech in one of cornwall premier N.T gardens whilst looking at some other work there. They dont know what it is, and neither do I, but the tree is dying. I wondered about bleeding canker- does it affect this species? It smells sort of spicy sweet, and armillaria has been ruled out apparently. Any ideas?:001_smile:

597654a7cf4a8_250920093091.jpg.dee6218603d8c40cd89080a5df228997.jpg

597654a7e8f12_250920093101.jpg.5eefdb01b07a988ad3f6b2723652c9b3.jpg

597654a80fb8a_250920093111.jpg.3a209ddeb380830a7e50ac782763f730.jpg

597654a829525_250920093121.jpg.82b2cacb99ff7c2c29866717a2dce56a.jpg

The Sudden Oak Death pathogen P. ramorum and the new species to be named P. ‘kernovii’ both cause bleeding canker, particularly in beech, red oaks, Turkey oak and tulip tree. P. ‘kernovii’ has very recently been recorded causing bleeding canker on English oak. These two organisms are notifiable and the Forestry Commission should be informed if symptoms are detected on these hosts.

Hi mate

That is a very interesting post.. The exudation does look like the symptoms of the various phytophthora sp infecting trees.

I consider a call to the Alice Holt disease research centre is needed! (01420 22255) Goddam mate, this couild make you famous!! A new host found...!!

On a more serious note, I did a quick google search and found that P. cinnamomi causes such symptoms in Australia on nothofagus. I see no reason why phytophthora could not infect nothofagus sp in the UK.

This has the potential to be a very important find I think...

Please keep us posted!!

Cheers Gmann

I've seen this on at least 4 occasions on Betula over the last 3 years round here eventually girdling the stem and sub branches causing die back and eventual death and this is in my area (Oxfordshire).

Also see bacterial/bleeding canker/phytphora often on Oak, Beech and Horse Chesnut but thats nothing new.

Hi mate

That is a very interesting post.. The exudation does look like the symptoms of the various phytophthora sp infecting trees.

I consider a call to the Alice Holt disease research centre is needed! (01420 22255) Goddam mate, this couild make you famous!! A new host found...!!

On a more serious note, I did a quick google search and found that P. cinnamomi causes such symptoms in Australia on nothofagus. I see no reason why phytophthora could not infect nothofagus sp in the UK.

This has the potential to be a very important find I think...

Please keep us posted!!

Cheers Gmann

Absolutely, I'm sure they'd be interested to hear about this.

This might help...

Forest Research - Impact of Phytophthora diseases on trees