A bizarre frame of mind

jtw2140

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting in to the habit of religiously checking important things (I would not include the constant checking of chain brakes one!) will keep you from serious injury or death, I can tell you that from experience ... Nearly on a few occasions I have nearly leaned back and quickly checked to discover that it would of been a nasty mess if I had !

Some fair points, I do look at other climbers and think I'm being pathetic as I'm not swinging and jumping and running to the end of a limb like they are! But this phase feels so far from even attempting that... That is the annoying and frustrating bit and does make me question at times if I'm cut out for it! Yet I know I've done some perfectly good climbs and dismantles before this!

Some fair points, I do look at other climbers and think I'm being pathetic as I'm not swinging and jumping and running to the end of a limb like they are! But this phase feels so far from even attempting that... That is the annoying and frustrating bit and does make me question at times if I'm cut out for it! Yet I know I've done some perfectly good climbs and dismantles before this!

Do you work with someone who is overly critical of your climbing.I had my confidence knocked in my 1st year of climbing as one of the team leaders,a great climber himself,was very hard on others and would be the worst groundie in the world,shoutin at us all the time.

This can definetly be detramental to your confidence.

If you think your a safe,competant climber you probably are.

Id rather work with a slow safe climber than a crackpot who swings around screamin weeeee...

Your not being pathetic mate, your being cautious, it's a good thing (a very good thing). If you don't have a little fear then you have accidents.

I'd say if you've only been climbing a few months it's normal to feel a little worried and check your kit more often than normal, especially if your being asked to get up some bigger or riskier trees.

Don't compare yourself to other climbers because everyone has a different way of doing things and different years of experience. But you should learn off them.

I've been climbing several years and still learn new tricks and ways of doing things even from people less experienced.

Speed will come with time and is not important at the moment.