Defender 110 drive problem

Sharpy92

I would appreciate some advice.

This morning I was driving my 1993 Defender 110 High Capacity. I pulled out of a junction and lost drive. Had a look underneath, nothing had dropped off! Wacked it into diff lock and off I drove to the nearest layby.

Now that I have got it home I am trying to find what has gone wrong. My thought was that one of the front half shafts have broken as the rear wheels drive.

I have jacked the front wheels up seperate and they both turn freely.. Surely if it is a half shaft one wheel should turn the prop and one should free wheel? could both shafts have broken? Is it something else?

I have tried researching but cant seem to find a solid answer. Before I start taking the truck apart it would be nice if I knew where to start!

Has anyone had a problem like this?? Many thanks!

Pop the rubber covers off the middle of each front hub and get someone to sit in it with it running and in gear (to switch it off if owt goes wrong) and check to see if the end of either shaft is spinning. The splines on the drive flanges can go and give those symptoms.

Good thing if it is that though is it's not a big job to fix.

EDIT: too slow again :blushing:

When I used to do winch challenges in my defender I had this problem twice. First time was the failure of the diff pin, normally followed by horrendous crunching noises. Second time was the half shaft. I don't recommend driving as I drove home in diff lock and a shard of metal cut through the stub axle resulting in the wheel and hub assembly detaching from the car. Luckily this was at 5 mph on the approach to a roundabout. I would strip the hubs off either side. Use a 14mm spanner possibly with a hammer to take the whole hub assemblies off in 1 go (saves stripping down). Once off take out the difference find your problem and clear any debris.