I'm Getting Too Old For This

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told that if you climbed trees regularly past the age of 40 you where an alcoholic or insane.

Since I no longer drink, this explains a lot! ;)

We would use some of your icons, but we can't figure out what the heck they are! - What's with the guy and the girl? :scared:

Reg, thanks. I actually do plan on climbing until I do something stupid and drop out of the tree. I have tried doing other things, but I'm a tree guy, plain and simple.

D Mc

That photo worries me!

He looks as though he is being chased by the men in white coats, the sheer determination on his face to get away.

Might be not too far from the truth.

I think he might have just found out what a proper days works is.

no probably just opened his phone bill if words were pounds he,d be a millionaire

Im 40 and just getting into the trade...your never to young...the more i climb the fitter i get. cant wait to start working in the trees. Still a student doing BTEC NA in Arb.:proud: il do it for as long as i can!

Fair comment,Im 36 and trying to get into arb/tree work,:wave:, age should not stop you one bit,

I started professional tree work as a climber before I got out of high school and this year will make 40 years (I'm now 55).

Though I have operated cranes and buckets and about every piece of tree gear out there, I have always been and always will be a tree climber.

When I was younger I worried about not being able to continue as I got older, because it seemed like nobody does. I think the only requirement for working as you get older is being your own boss so you can call the shots.

When you are 20 you can do a killer job, go out drinking, go to bed and wake up feeling great. When you get older you can do a killer job, go to bed early, NO drinking and with no illusions about waking up feeling great, just hoping you wake up!

The big advantage as you get older is the desire to keep working, the joy of climbing, because this is not a job you do unless you love it.

D Mc

Nice post!

I'm 38 been climbing 14 years and hope to just keep on going :cheers:

Started tree work at 18 still climbing at 45. The person I started to work for is 70! Keep your weight down,cut out as much crappy food and exercise and yes I still hurts. Its more to do with pacing yourself and knowing when to moderate your effort. Use your expirence the days of going hell for leather are gone because you know the next day you will be f****d

I don't or wouldn't want to be climbing big trees at fifty.?

Climbing big trees can be easier than doing loads of ground work. 50 is still young, I know a full time gardener who is 76, I'm not kidding he does a full season of lawn maintenaince no problem. If he can do that I dont see why you cant climb trees into your 50s.