• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Good on ya!

I was 28 when I made the change, previously working in IT / marketing / sales (ewwwww).

To see whether I liked the outdoors, I tried some volunteer weekends with BTCV in Kirkstall, Leeds, then signed up for a BTEC higher national diploma (then Houghall College, also maybe look at Askam Bryant to see what they offer), got part time work with one of my fellow students who was seasoned and never looked back.

If you don't want to start with the academic side, at a minimum you'd be best getting CS30 / 31, maybe even 38 (they're all called different way complicated numbers now, but chainsaw maintenance / cross cutting, small tree felling and climbing basically). If you fancy a go, maybe even CS39 (climbing with a saw) but if you get in a with good firm, starting on the ground and learning from your team before progressing into the trees can be handy too.

You could also look at doing one of the longer crafts courses where you do so many weeks residential with practical tickets and some theory (Merrist Wood, Kingswood Training, Plumpton college, etc.).

Alternatively, you could look to do some practical tickets on your own and some part time theory on the side (maybe the ABC level 2 certificate in arboriculture - some offer this at college, others distance learning - Tree Life, Myerscough, etc.).

There are also other higher level part time courses (such as the ABC level 4 diploma) but generally you should have some experience before trying this (The Training Tree, Merrist Wood, Tree Life, etc.)

Sorry if I've missed training providers! Try this link for the Arboricultural Association guide to careers:

And their guide to training providers:-

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you want more advice or information.

If you're looking for work, there's a range of places to try

http://www.ctcrecruitment.co.uk/

https://www.treebear.co.uk/

https://arbjobs.com/

Good luck.

Edited by Monkeyface
I missed out some good information!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some advice please people.

I'm looking to move from my current work and into arbs but how much per hour would you expect and groundie, with limited experience, to earn?

I'm 26, currently working in grounds maintenance, have CS 30, 31 and Woodchipper licence aswell as PA 1, PA6, EFAAW and others (see signature)

I want to learn not just the how's of the job but the why's too. Why does this tree need taking down? Why doesn't that tree need any work? Why would it be best to pollard that tree etc.

Ideally I'd start as an apprentice but I can not physically afford to drop from my current wage (£10 ph) onto an apprentice wage and I can't see many arb firms wanting to take on a trainee and pay him full groundsman wage!

Another option I have been looking at is doing one of the HCC courses from home to give me a bit of knowledge but this doesn't help with the practical side of the job.

I need to contact local arb firms again to see if they have any weekend work I could help with and been looking to volunteer to gain some experience but no luck as of yet.

Any advice you may have if greatfully welcome,

Cheers.

Edited by Midge