ready to split logs.

william petts

In all honesty....its something you just need to test the water.

If youve got the timber and its surplus what do you want for it if someones collecting it??? If your paying rent on the space its sat on your going to want more than if your not.if there is more softwood than hardwood someones possibly going to turn their nose up at it.....not so good if youve just bought a van to do deliveries

Id advertise it. Collection only see what it goes like. If you make money alls good if not , well you havnt lost too much

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty....its something you just need to test the water.

If youve got the timber and its surplus what do you want for it if someones collecting it??? If your paying rent on the space its sat on your going to want more than if your not.if there is more softwood than hardwood someones possibly going to turn their nose up at it.....not so good if youve just bought a van to do deliveries

Id advertise it. Collection only see what it goes like. If you make money alls good if not , well you havnt lost too much

Very true, the answer to your questions are no we ddont rent and we already have a truck.

I think its the sorta thing like you said, give it a whirl and see what happens!

Having just split a few tonnes of "free" wood, the cost of the splitter hire/fuel, plus the cash I gave someone to help, made it not much cheaper than buying split logs already. I think you'll find that the actual cost of the wood is pretty low in comparison to the handling costs

Surprised to read this - we would reckon to split easy 1m3 per hour so should not cost more than £10 to split a cubic metre of cut-to-length rings

Cheers

mac

I have a couple of log customers that are happy to receive loads of green rings to split and season themselves. £35-50 per m3 depending on how far from base they are. 7m3 in an afternoon for one fella straight from the job.

I have less than a dozen log customers, these are my favorites

We used to do this when i first started up and didn't have the capacity to split and move timber, sold plenty, quite a few never came back, we came to the conclusion that splitting it was too much hard work! problem was it was all the tight arses that bought rings and they wanted it for nawt! we now sell split up ready to go.

Surprised to read this - we would reckon to split easy 1m3 per hour so should not cost more than £10 to split a cubic metre of cut-to-length rings

Cheers

mac

£10 an hour including fuel, hire cost & labour? Can I have your number please as that's a bargain... :)

£10 an hour including fuel, hire cost & labour? Can I have your number please as that's a bargain... :)

What fuel or hire cost????? A guy with a decent axe will do 1m3 per hour without any hassle on normal firewood i.e. 10-14in rings. A little less on small fiddly stuff.

Cheers

mac

I'll have your number too! We charge £25 hr to process wood for customers, MF 35 plus hycrack and saw.

I would not regard that as being unreasonable - asuming that by "we" you mean that two men are included.

The way I understand it the OP is offering partially processed wood i.e. rings for his customers to split. I can certainly get a man with an axe for less than £10/hr and he will fill a cubic metre bag per hour with split logs.

Cheers

mac

I would not regard that as being unreasonable - asuming that by "we" you mean that two men are included.

The way I understand it the OP is offering partially processed wood i.e. rings for his customers to split. I can certainly get a man with an axe for less than £10/hr and he will fill a cubic metre bag per hour with split logs.

Cheers

mac

That's far too cheap people should not be working for £10 an hour self employed even with only an axe to buy!!