logs

Bird

When the demand for logs in your country is low, you can consider exporting large quantities to other countries where the demand at that moment is high. However, you need to do enough research on such countries and understand their policies concerning the imports they allow in; quantity and quality.

When the demand for logs in your country is low, you can consider exporting large quantities to other countries where the demand at that moment is high. However, you need to do enough research on such countries and understand their policies concerning the imports they allow in; quantity and quality.

At moment u might struggle with that with strength of the pound so high.

Also production costs etc generally not a big profit in it for all the work that gos into it.

U'll see other threads/posts on here where folk importing a lot of wood in from eastern block countries and scsndinvia far cheaper than they can produce it here.

At moment u might struggle with that with strength of the pound so high.

Also production costs etc generally not a big profit in it for all the work that gos into it.

U'll see other threads/posts on here where folk importing a lot of wood in from eastern block countries and scsndinvia far cheaper than they can produce it here.

I've been opposed to this for years as its not a local commodity my head says yes but my hart sais no. It's a differcult one.

For us the season started off with really well but I'm Jan Feb have been quiet all other merchants reporting the same thing.

I've been opposed to this for years as its not a local commodity my head says yes but my hart sais no. It's a differcult one.

For us the season started off with really well but I'm Jan Feb have been quiet all other merchants reporting the same thing.

Jan / Feb have been dead. Has to have been worst year for sales. Stock piling for winter 2016. Fingers crossed for a cold one

Jan / Feb have been dead. Has to have been worst year for sales. Stock piling for winter 2016. Fingers crossed for a cold one

Same here I hedged my bets on a cold winter this year people will pay strong money if there's snow and ice on the ground but if it's raining it's a waste of time. In the last 12 months every man and his dog are selling logs.

[Q. In the last 12 months every man and his dog are selling logs.

Falling gas and oil prices do not help demand and that it unlikely to change with the advent of cracking shale gas.

With the Ash disease now out of control I can see every farmers son with a chainsaw becoming a wood merchant for a bit of beer money. In my local parish mag this time there were 7 people adverting logs and another 3 selling stoves who also sell logs. So short term then there will be a demand for decent splitters but I can't see many people making a sensible return on logs.

A

[Q. In the last 12 months every man and his dog are selling logs.

Falling gas and oil prices do not help demand and that it unlikely to change with the advent of cracking shale gas.

With the Ash disease now out of control I can see every farmers son with a chainsaw becoming a wood merchant for a bit of beer money. In my local parish mag this time there were 7 people adverting logs and another 3 selling stoves who also sell logs.So short term then there will be a demand for decent splitters but I can't see many people making a sensible return on logs.

A

Good point, we should have become machine dealers, not started producing logs.

Its like the Klondike gold rush, a few lucky people made a fortune, most went home broke, but the guys selling picks, shovels, tents, etc all made a tidy living.