TPO'd Sycamore.

Treeworld

Hi All,

Got a call to come and look at this lovely mature sycamore, the client lives in a conservation area and applied themselves to remove the tree. The village they live in is renowned for busy bodies and so the tree officer was called in who quickly slapped a TPO on the tree etc etc. They were then only granted a 15% reduction by the council which on the species seems to me a bit pointless, fair enough if on an oak or beech. Anyway, there usual guy has disappeared after quoting for the work so they got in touch for a quote for said reduction of 15%. Upon inspection I found the below old FB's and also the bark is coming off quite badly, can you ID the fungi, is it sooty bark disease? so I have suggested that we take advice which is why I am posting this and if necessary remove under DDD tree or at the very least appeal for a 30% reduction. They had this reduced 2 years ago, so from their point of view it is an expense for them to maintain especially as only such a small amount of crown reduction is granted. The crown looks healthy enough although there is substantial deadwood in there.

As always your views are welcomed, many thanks in advance.

DSC00671.jpg.d60d794e512961c6f95bb72391c1316a.jpg

DSC00670.jpg.05fa30e7dfdd6daa3e210a9d10ff79f6.jpg

DSC00669.jpg.73f0ff13d57df921b9dd7245b0375269.jpg

DSC00668.jpg.61801649b5f3a3640fd9f6ce34f94713.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate

No offence dude, but the pics are a little blurry.. Nevertheless I consider that you can rule out Sooty Bark disease (Cryptostorma corticle). From your pic of the tree from a distance, it does not appear to be showing the symptoms of the disease and the fruit bodies don't match, you get that black mass spore layer under the dead bark, hence the name.

It could however be Smokey Polypore (Bjerkandera adusta) or Silver leaf (Chondrostereum purpureum. Both can occur on Sycamore, although Bjerkandera is perhaps more likely...

Nevertheless, its a little accademic! Why the hell would the TO put a TPO on a tree like this (I say this as a TO myself..)

I really do despair sometimes!!!!! The tree is clearly in a structural poor condition. It could even, as you said, be in the DDD catagory. If this is the case then the TPO should never have been made..

The work specified by the TO, is also, in my opinion plain stupid! What the hell is a 15% crown reduction supposed to achieve???

I should imagine that the order is 'proposed' and not confirmed and the six month section 201 directive is running.

My advice is to have an assessment of the SULE of the tree either by you or a consultant. If, as likely, this is low, then apply to fell it, with a good quality replacement tree planting specified as part of the app.

If the LA are stupid enough to refuse it, then appeal and the planning inspectorate will back you up and they'll be made to look rather silly as their actions are just so backward with no concept of urban silviculture and forward thinking!! Hello this is the 21st century!!!

Hope this is useful!!!!

Cheers

Safe Useful Life Expectancy (SULE)

It is the key to a report to back an application such as this.

If you are unsure yourself, any good arb consultant will be able to sort you out.

Such a report from a consultant will cost around £500. I am assuming that the this tree's SULE is low (<10 years), based on your pics. If that is the correct assumption then its retention is pointless, when you can plant a replacement tree with a century or 2 ahead of it.

Of course, the tree could be heavily reduced, but again, its amenity value (Why the TPO was made???) would be significantly reduced and the on going cost to your client increased..

Remember, SULE is not when the tree is a pile of sticks on the ground, but when the tree is going to start shedding limbs, major crown dieback etc...

Cheers mate!

The trouble is that it is all at great cost to the client. I'd speak to the tree officer, explain your concerns and see what they say. Then put an app into fell based on what you've said, the council then to act responsibly otherwise they could find themselves liable for any resulting damage.

Maybe even do it on a 5day notice, but the trouble is you don't get a response from them, but may get the tree officer out on site quickly, where they may spot what they've missed. Ie they may have just driven past the tree quickly.

R

Safe Useful Life Expectancy (SULE)

It is the key to a report to back an application such as this.

If you are unsure yourself, any good arb consultant will be able to sort you out.

Such a report from a consultant will cost around £500. I am assuming that the this tree's SULE is low (<10 years), based on your pics. If that is the correct assumption then its retention is pointless, when you can plant a replacement tree with a century or 2 ahead of it.

Of course, the tree could be heavily reduced, but again, its amenity value (Why the TPO was made???) would be significantly reduced and the on going cost to your client increased..

Remember, SULE is not when the tree is a pile of sticks on the ground, but when the tree is going to start shedding limbs, major crown dieback etc...

Cheers mate!

That's some A1 advice Gmann you seem to know your onions old chap!!!