My HGV Thread

roseyweb

18t front mount crane normal tipper, rear mount crane would be great but having to rip sideways could limit tip sites if you don't tip in your own yard and have kit to tidy up after yourself. Where the crane is needed we can usually manoeuvre to get it involved, but of course if it were at the back it could be used a bit more...I'll do out some more pictures shortly. Also this size is far more number and manoeuvrable than you think when first making the step up.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1454963140.009273.jpg.a8772a93b18163eb6a948b23e4492791.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1454963167.522691.jpg.d30553734a65dfe367bd5b9af51dedc1.jpg

Driving on Woodchip in December, grip and lack of ground pressure etc is surprisingly good.

Edited by Billy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any of these 4x4 trucks can be exempt as a mog is on ag rules, normal lorries converted for forestry or ag use can also apply for exemption with the form and supporting evidence like photos from here. Each case is judged on its merits so you need to lay it on a bit thick. A bolstered timber truck with crane is OK.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected/exemptions-and-discounts

Bob

This is very useful to know. I operate pretty much exclusively in London amd have kept away from lorries because of the LEZ issues.

Well as I see it at the moment the best medium sized truck for the job seems to be an 18tonner with a decent train weight and piped for air ,4x4 a bonus ,with rear mount crane with extended reach+ piped for a grab, lift off tipper sides, tipper bed to take bolsters, a winch up its chuff for pulling wood in, lockers on the chassis . Anything missing? :)

Edit, top seat on the crane and loads of worklights.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Well as I see it at the moment the best medium sized truck for the job seems to be an 18tonner with a decent train weight and piped for air ,4x4 a bonus ,with rear mount crane with extended reach+ piped for a grab, lift off tipper sides, tipper bed to take bolsters, a winch up its chuff for pulling wood in, lockers on the chassis . Anything missing? :)

Edit, top seat on the crane and loads of worklights.

Bob

Sounds about right to me. Although for me 4x4 essential and I like the thought of a remote control crane, but not the repair costs😁

4x4 isn't as useful on a big truck, the main problem is sinkage rather than traction. If all the wheels are buried up to the axles you aren't going anywhere.

4x2 or 6x4 with wide tyres on the front is pretty good, after all even with 4x4 you aren't going rock hopping with it.

Our old 4X4 MK bowser which goes about 12 + ton full of water gets to places fully loaded no ordinary lorry or even a 4x4 pickup would stand a hope in hell of getting to. Anyway feast your eyes on these Mercs, 4x4 some with a 10ton payload and allowed 19tons of trailer behind them.:001_smile:

Mercedes truck 4x4, 75 ads of used Mercedes truck 4x4

Bob

4x4 isn't as useful on a big truck, the main problem is sinkage rather than traction. If all the wheels are buried up to the axles you aren't going anywhere.

4x2 or 6x4 with wide tyres on the front is pretty good, after all even with 4x4 you aren't going rock hopping with it.

Back on the farm our old Bedford RL 4x4 tipper would crawl its way out just about anywhere, many times loaded with spuds buried down to the axles and never failed to get out ,admittedly fighting for dear life with the Huge steering wheel and cracking your elbow with gear change on cab lol 😁

Ste