Nice spalted beech

TonyIOM

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark

I'm going to try making a side table of sorts but I suspect it will be a triumph of form over function - I'm more into chainsaw carving but need a break from owls and bears! The friend with the big lathe is planning some special piece of work with the 9" slab - I can barely walk it across the ground never mind lift it!

Do you do bowl turning or lathe work? If so I'll he happy to send you some blanks FOC if you cover the postage.

I have 3 bigger stems still to mill, around 9' by 3' and big elm burrs but I'm haven't figured out the best orientation for the first cut through the burrs.

Cheers

it may be best to cut the burrs in to blanks and cut what's left of the log into squares for legs.

this is how a burr cut for a bowl blank should be cut.

59766f78241b2__57(10).jpg.222fded5154020412a03e04a02b4ec72.jpg

I'm gonna guess that "Tony IOM" is indeed from the IOM?

I'll be first in line then, I'm bigger than you, (1.94 and 100-ish kgs)

Mr Rover is indeed correct although I did give a pretty blatant clue in my OP!

You win a small burr :biggrin: please send me your address to claim your prize!

Nice looking burrr. Drop me a price of a board please when milled. Looking for a nice bit for a table.

Hi Mr Big Beech and Punk Mark and Gobby Steve:001_smile:

I'll measure the logs tomorrow and update you on lengths etc. What thickness of boards are you needing?

Steve, I have some burrs that I cut off the trunk before I realised I could take the whole tree and will get some pictures for you tomorrow.

I'll check out courier costs as well and hopefully they won't be too expensive.

Cheers, Tony in the Isle of Man for the avoidance of doubt:biggrin:

Hi Mr Big Beech and Punk Mark and Gobby Steve:001_smile:

I'll measure the logs tomorrow and update you on lengths etc. What thickness of boards are you needing?

Steve, I have some burrs that I cut off the trunk before I realised I could take the whole tree and will get some pictures for you tomorrow.

I'll check out courier costs as well and hopefully they won't be too expensive.

Cheers, Tony in the Isle of Man for the avoidance of doubt:biggrin:

Thanks, length unimportant as such 5ft?, thickness 2 or 3" would be sweet :thumbup:

Thanks, length unimportant as such 5ft?, thickness 2 or 3" would be sweet :thumbup:

Ok, there are 3 butts, 28" to 36" max width and 160,170 and 190 long. The shorter butts are heavily burred all round the trunk.

I'll take a few slabs off the shorter ones to begin with to see what they are like and put some pictures up, once I've finished my Valentine bear orders.

Cheers

Tony

• 1 month later...