ne fly with zigzag

Steve Bullman

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's an 11mm rope that you're after, I'd give the NE Fly a miss. I had some, and it basically turned into a 13mm rope after about 6 months. No idea how, but when I bought it, it was like any 11mm rope. Then through milking/fluffing/collecting dirt or whatever, I put it next to a friend's Poison Ivy one day, and the Fly was visibly thicker. I had a Spiderjack at the time, and had noticed it wasn't running as freely.

The Blue Tongue is probably a safer bet in the long run.

I use yale fire 13mm.it works fine and keeps it nice and straight ascending and feeds and grabs zz no problem.my mate uses 11mm tacyon or however you spell it😀 and i found it tricky to keep feeding in zz and hard to grab with being thinner rope but thats just me.saying all that i am planing to go for an 11mm but maybe different brand just to test it for regular usr to see if i can get use to it💪🏽

Actually Andrew might be on blue tounge rather than cougar blue as I said earlier, its thin and blue/grey and has a slightly square profile when tensioned.

Its cougar blue I'm on, self tends really well, pretty hard on the hands, but remedied with gloves, nicer than tachyon for me

I found Blue Tongue a bit bouncy at the start of a long ascent, usually around 60ft or so.

Used the Marlow Venom yesterday on a big Grand Fir and found little difference. Think I'll stick with it.

I found the same thing happened. That coupled with it being wet and new as well made it a pain to ascend on.

• 1 month later...

More time with the Venom and not liking it now to be honest. Been on a good few Elm last couple of weeks and the increased friction through a high crotch seems to emphasis the stretchyness of the rope. Maybe it's just me but it's not so noticeable on smooth barked trees or with a cambium saver in.

It's not something I've found with Blue Tongue.