Are Stihl 038av's any good?

flatyre

I bought one off ebay months ago but through a bit of confusion have only just arranged a courier collection so haven't received it yet. At the moment my every day saw is a 560xp, but don't have a backup. I have a few saws 'on the bench' that need work but which to fix first? Its a bit of a random mix of cheap ebay purchases so any advice is welcome. The options are a Husky 50 Rancher (needs a new recoil), Stihl ms250 (cracked petrol tank), early Stihl 028av (needs clutch worm gears and chain brake linkage), later 028av (complete but needs a new piston and bore honed), and the 038av (worst case scenario new pot and piston).

Now I know most people don't rate the US made husky but I have a couple of 36's which are great, simple, easy to work on and dead reliable. The older alloy body 028 runs great so can't justify ditching it despite needing the parts.

The newer 028 is complete and would make a good backup once fixed.

And the 038 has 61cc so has a bit more grunt.

Advice would be much appreciated:thumbup1:

Nothing wrong with them as a saw, but why do you keep buying saws and not fixing them. I have a 038 with lots of bits available including a good pot and piston. It's a good reliable saw when you rebuild it properly. Unless the flea bay seller has a reputation (i.e. Good feedback for selling saws) don't buy them.

Nothing wrong with them as a saw, but why do you keep buying saws and not fixing them. I have a 038 with lots of bits available including a good pot and piston. It's a good reliable saw when you rebuild it properly. Unless the flea bay seller has a reputation (i.e. Good feedback for selling saws) don't buy them.

I do buy, fix, and sell a fair few saws, as much as a hobby as for financial gain, gives me something to do when the weathers too bad to work. The husky is a recent purchase so haven't had the time to look at it, the 028's were bought to make one good saw out of the pair but parts aren't interchangeable and both are too good to break, the ms250 was sold but the ebay buyer pulled a fly one and sent it back after damaging it (don't ask), and the 038 popped up at the right price so I couldn't say no:blushing:

I bought one off ebay months ago but through a bit of confusion have only just arranged a courier collection so haven't received it yet. At the moment my every day saw is a 560xp, but don't have a backup. I have a few saws 'on the bench' that need work but which to fix first? Its a bit of a random mix of cheap ebay purchases so any advice is welcome. The options are a Husky 50 Rancher (needs a new recoil), Stihl ms250 (cracked petrol tank), early Stihl 028av (needs clutch worm gears and chain brake linkage), later 028av (complete but needs a new piston and bore honed), and the 038av (worst case scenario new pot and piston).

Now I know most people don't rate the US made husky but I have a couple of 36's which are great, simple, easy to work on and dead reliable. The older alloy body 028 runs great so can't justify ditching it despite needing the parts.

The newer 028 is complete and would make a good backup once fixed.

And the 038 has 61cc so has a bit more grunt.

Advice would be much appreciated:thumbup1:

Hi mate Steve man on here thanks Jon

Has to be said most of the stuff you have are half decent models . I had all of the Stihls , theyre all getting on now but a fresh 028 or particularly 038 fit into the category of a solid asset combined with a good back up saw .

038s were the go to saw in Ireland 20-25 years ago , they dont seem to have the same cult following in the UK ? .

Id love to get a fresh 038 Magnum and let Spud give her the once over .

cheers guys, think i'll get started on the 038 first then, whats the verdict on the 50 Rancher? could they handle a full days work or just a homeowner saw for cutting fire wood?

Nowt wrong with a 50 rancher . Much stronger case being mag alloy than the newer semi pro models. Old school Husqvarna solid cylinder to carb mount so no bellows to be bothered about and real easy to work on along with the 100 and 200 series of 1980s-2000 saws. 3 hp is not so bad ..just won't hold the same revs in the cut as the XPs. Should be more than happy on a 15 in (14 in usable length with dogs on ) bar as long as you don't mind slightly more vibes..not that bad really.

If its a recoil only then its worth seeing if you like what you have once done.

:thumbup: